The Old and the New

Luis Irizarry-Ramirez, School News Writer

There is a saying, the band is only as good as its weakest link. The same goes for the person behind it; the director. As many may know, recent events gave way to change in the music department. Music Department Chair and Band director Dr. Dewald retired last year, replaced by Director James Wallace. 

The Independent asked part of the student body how they felt the change and transition had gone. The respondents had similar answers: they all agreed that band was different this year. Mr. Wallace told the band that” he stands by the Dewald rules, which is old-made new. The little details count; marking time, marching, lines, and stepping, all of these make an impact.

Freshman, Drumline member Nathan Le explains, “I would say that one of my strengths is playing on time and doing the drills decently.” Furthermore, an anonymous student revealed to the Independent what happens in the band behind the scenes. “He (Mr. Wallace) stresses these little details like timing, stepping, lines but with…purpose. He reminds us on what to fix and what we are doing right.” There is always more to the band than meets the eye. “More breaks means more energy, he expects from us to use that energy to make an effort when he is there.”, continued the student.

Fellow writer Quinlin Pounders (freshman) observes, “…From what I can tell, you all are pretty good at marching, and I have not been able to hear any mistakes yet…However, he does seem to be like a good band teacher conductor.” This observation is encouraging after almost two months of transitioning from the old instructor to the new-ish one.

Freshman Alex Arquilla spoke to the Independent, saying, “We have a very strong and tight circle where people are open to be themselves, and I think that’s amazing.” In conclusion, The Marching Raiders continue to live in the moment by using past techniques and new spectacle methods while working with present mistakes. Band members can remember this quote, “The past is behind, learn from it. The future is ahead, prepare for it. The present is here, live it.” -Thomas S. Monson.