A Year in Review: Final Broadcast for Raider News (23-24)
Kaitlyn Urbanowicz, Olivia Abbott, Ella Cottman, Simona Juknyte, Lili Olson, and Amelia Buhle April 22, 2024

We want YOU to vote: The Importance of Voting and Being a First Time Voter

Voting is a privilege and our right as citizens, and if you are 18 by the next election you are able to vote. Source: Photo by Element5 Digital on Unsplash

Voting is an extremely important part of our democratic process, and for many students at South March 19th was their first time voting. If you will be 18 by or on November 5th then you are eligible to vote, and if not, then it is never too early to register to vote. 

Mr. Ruben Rodriguez, the social studies department chair, encourages all students, who are eligible, to vote. As department chair he hopes students realize and understand the importance of voting, and the broader importance of their voice in our government. “When we talk about our mission as the social studies department, our hope is that students walk away feeling like they are engaged in their own community within the United States, in whatever issues they’re passionate about. And one of the ways students can be active and engaged in their community is by voting,” said Rodriguez. 

However, some students may feel that their votes do not matter. “Sometimes I hear students talk about how they don’t feel like they’re being heard or they don’t like what’s going on,” said Rodriguez. He continued that when it comes to voting  it can feel like, “‘I am just one person. It doesn’t really matter if I vote or don’t vote.’” In opposition to this mindset, he encourages students to think about it from the other side. “We are a representative government,” explained Rodriguez. Our government is supposed to be a government of the people and by the people, and voting allows citizens to have input on our government and the legislative process. 

Rodrigeuz continued, “And it’s easy to sit back and just complain about things and not have anything done. It’s much harder to actually stand up and say, ‘This is what I think and this is what I want to have happen.’” In social studies classes at Glenbard South, Rodriquez hopes that students learn how to stand up and advocate for themselves. 

“I’ve seen on the local level how much one person, or ten people or a couple hundred people’s votes can totally swing an election,” said Rodrigeuz. He explained that oftentimes as voters we get so focused on the presidential and national elections, that we overlook the local elections and their impact on our community. “There’s so much that happens at a local level that impacts our day to day lives,” said Rodrigeuz. 

Another reason to vote is to invest in our future. “When you show up to vote you’re also thinking about the future,” said Rodriguez. With your vote you are advocating for the type of future you want to see. 

Rodriguez also encouraged students to educate themselves on the issues. He suggested that for local elections local newspapers, which can be found online, are a great way to become more informed about the issues in our government on a local level. The website I Side is also a great tool to use if you are unsure of where your views fall within a political party, stated Rodriguez. 

Matilda McLaren, senior and first time voter in the March 19th primaries, shared that she voted because she felt it was her civic duty. She explained that while individually your vote may feel small, your vote when cast amongst others has a significant impact. 

Met with a round of applause after casting her ballot at the Glen Ellyn Civic Center, McLaren shared that, “I felt really supported in the whole process.” 

For those who have yet to vote McLaren reassured them that it is an easy process. “I bought a couple of forms of ID with me and then it was a pretty easy process. It took like five or ten minutes.” 

As she is going to college next year after registering to vote McLaren also requested a Mail-in ballot for the November election. This is a great way for seniors who know they may be far away from home, or out of state, to make sure that they are still able to cast their ballot. 

“I would encourage everybody to vote and encourage everybody to tell their friends to vote,” said McLaren in closing. She also stated that she cannot wait to, “keep voting every year.”