A Year in Review: Final Broadcast for Raider News (23-24)
Kaitlyn Urbanowicz, Olivia Abbott, Ella Cottman, Simona Juknyte, Lili Olson, and Amelia Buhle April 22, 2024

Archives

Mic’d Masterpieces to Pristine Pages

Open Mic Night performers pose with club Sponsors Michael Aye and Joshua Hepler.

A collection of literary art from all across the school, the annual Creative Writing Club’s Literary Magazine (Lit. Mag.) will soon be printed. Full of works ranging from essays to poems, and short stories to sketches, one will not want to miss the remarkable collective effort of Glenbard South students, showcased on its crisp bound pages. However, printing the pages requires a sufficient amount of funding to provide authors with a copy at the most affordable price. 

In an effort to raise as much of the funding as possible, the club once again hosted its fundraiser in the form of an Open Mic Night. On the evening of March 8th, the Little Theater served as the stage for a pre-showcase of sorts for some of the material for the Lit. Mag., once printed. Although a free event, donations were highly encouraged and promoted. By the end of the night, the club had raised over $200 in cash to fund their 2023-2024 publication. 

A grand array of works was performed by active club members, as well as those who accepted the invitation to share alongside them. It was made clear by seniors Maxine Domecka and Margaret Falkenberg that “there were no professionals there” and to “not apologize for your art”. 

Attendees sang, read poems, told short stories and even contributed a fun list of dad jokes that elicited a great deal of laughter from the audience. Sophomore Riven Wisneski, who shared a poem by Gwendolyn Brooks titled “We Too Cool”, expressed that listening to others share their art gives a “new perspective on how they view the world and shows sides that of that person you don’t always see.” 

Quinlin Pounders, a Junior Club Member, looks forward to the possibility of two Open Mic Nights next year to raise even more money, and allow for more people to perform. With funds to fuel their creativity, the Creative Writing Club is set to have a prosperous end of the year.