“The Heaven and Earth Grocery Store”: American Progress
Abby Edwards, Scoop Writer • May 3, 2024

In “The Heaven and Earth Grocery Store” by James McBride, It is no secret that Chicken Hill is a place of struggle, and in 1930, Jews and African Americans had to depend...

Icelandic-Chinese singer-songwriter Laufey brought her Goddess tour to the Chicago Theater

Source: Kathy Georgieva
Source: Kathy Georgieva

24 year old Icelandic-Chinese singer-songwriter Laufey (lāy-vāy) has bewitched the world with her worldwide Goddess tour. The singer performed a sold out show at the Chicago Theater on April 28th, and has continued to sell out at each of her venues.

The opener for Laufey was the London based band, Wasia Project who opened with an incredible set list filled with their biggest hits: including “ur so pretty” mixed with upbeat songs “impossible” and “Petals on the Moon”. Announcing it was their first tour in the States, the crowd cheered. Wasia Project began with Olivia Hardy and William Gao, sister and brother, writing songs together in 2019. Gao’s captivating piano playing blended beautifully with Hardy’s powerful voice to make an awe-inspiring performance that no one could tear their eyes away from. The stage was bare and gave a single spot light to Hardy and the band as she sang longingly into the microphone. Hardy’s passion was infectious and for their final song she led the entire audience in standing up and jumping to the final chorus. It made for an unforgettably connecting experience and was the perfect introduction to the night.

Then, with a piano interlude and flashing stage lights Laufey ran onstage to the roar of a cheering crowd. Her proud smile and warm, enthusiastic mood was immediately felt by everyone in the audience.

Laufey stunned the audience with her resonant voice as she sang each and every note live, refraining from lip-syncing entirely, resulting in a performance that was both genuine and raw.

The setlist was masterfully curated, ranging from her most catchy, recognizable hits, like “From the Start” and “Valentine”,  to her softer, introspective ballads, like “Promise” and “Fragile”. Regardless of the individual’s tastes, there was a song to resonate with everyone.

Laufey further enchanted the audience with her deep dish pizza misfortune before the show (she had a chicago style deep dish pizza that made her stomach hurt) and her rendition of “Goddess” was interrupted by giggling at her own joke.

And, with two encores, “Letter To My 13 Year Old Self” and “It Could Happen To You”, Laufey left the audience feeling more than content.

Laufey effortlessly played piano, cello and guitar all while enchanting the listeners with her melodious voice and graceful twirls. Her lively presence, as she glided across the stage and interacted with the audience, captured the hearts of many.

As an ever growing artist, Laufey is casting a spell over the music industry. With her fusion of modern songwriting, traditional harmonies and orchestral layerings, she is reintroducing jazz and classical elements to the realm of young audiences, transcending musical boundaries. In the audience, little girls with their dads could be seen donning bows and singing along to each ballad. Laufey’s work has instilled a love of classical music and jazz to a new audience, making even orchestral instruments as cool as an eclectic guitar in the eyes of her listeners, shown as her fans screamed when she performed an impressive cello solo. Laufey is actively changing the current music scene by blending the old with the new, making for a distinct sound and a promising future for classical music and jazz in the modern age.