“The Heaven and Earth Grocery Store”: American Progress
Abby Edwards, Scoop Writer • May 3, 2024

In “The Heaven and Earth Grocery Store” by James McBride, It is no secret that Chicken Hill is a place of struggle, and in 1930, Jews and African Americans had to depend...

Beloved Social Studies Teacher Ms. Jeanette Purdy Retires

From nurse to flight attendant Ms. Jeanette Purdy thought of many different professions before teaching. However, it was sitting in her College of DuPage history class where Ms. Purdy found her interest in teaching.

You could say teaching ran in her family  because what sealed the deal for Ms. Purdy to pursue teaching was visiting Glenbard South to observe her aunt. At the time Purdy’s aunt was an English teacher at South and invited Purdy to come and watch her teach. “I came and observed the kids and was like I could totally do this,” said Purdy. “I loved working with kids but I didn’t want to work with little kids. So I knew I wanted to work with high school kids.”

History was always her best subject, and encouraged by her professor at COD to pursue teaching history, Ms. Prudy obtained her bachelor’s degrees in American History and Psychology from Western Illinois University. Ms. Purdy also has a masters degree in modern European history and 45+ additional hours in psychology coursework.

Ms. Purdy has had many memorable experiences at South- any former student has surely been charmed and intrigued by her captivating story and unique experiences- but one memory in particular stands out: when her students came to her wedding. Purdy reflected that, “I had some amazing, fun kids. We were having so much fun. So they all come to my wedding.” She had twenty five students attend her wedding ceremony with numerous playing in the string quartet. “It was really fun that they got to be such a big part of it,” said Purdy. That class was especially special to Purdy and she found that with them, and the rest of her students, “It’s been fun to see what they’ve done with their life.”

Looking towards retirement, Ms. Purdy will continue her side hustle of candy making, but first she will enjoy her time to rest. “Right now I think I just need a break,” said Purdy. And that break is well deserved. Ms. Purdy taught her entire career in Glenbard schools, starting off at West then taking a position at South.

As Ms. Purdy concludes her career at Glenbard South she is going out with this year’s senior class. When asked if she had any words of wisdom to give the senior class, she commiserated with the class of 2024 when it comes to finding your path post high school. “It’s really hard,” said Purdy. She reflected that in this age of technology it is difficult “To determine what area you can go into, that has a future in it. You know, and that is going to be something you can make a living at, and that you can love what you’re doing. How do you know what that is? And especially at 18. I mean look how long it took me to figure it out.” Ms. Purdy encourages students to try as many classes as they can in college, she herself found her path to teaching through her college coursework and relationships with professors.

In reflection of her time at Glenbard South Ms. Purdy shared that her favorite part of her job has been her students. “I love working with young people,” said Purdy.  She also reflected on her co-workers, “When you work at a place like this you work with really good teachers you know, good people. And that’s really worth it. You form a lot of really good bonds with people.” Ms. Purdy will leave a remarkable legacy behind her.