A Year in Review: Final Broadcast for Raider News (23-24)
Kaitlyn Urbanowicz, Olivia Abbott, Ella Cottman, Simona Juknyte, Lili Olson, and Amelia BuhleApril 22, 2024

Archives

Are pets good for mental health?

Many pet owners would attest to the mental benefits of being around animals. Source: One Green Planet

According to Forbes.com, in 2023 about 66% of US homes own a pet. Humans tend to keep pets because they provide company and prevent feelings of loneliness. It can vary anywhere from dogs to birds to snakes.

NIH.com states that studies have shown interacting with animals “reduce loneliness, increased feelings of social support, and boost your mood.” Pets can help with social anxiety by helping people connect with others. They can also “provide a sense of togetherness” and make people feel less alone. Pets can also increase happiness levels as “87% of Americans were reported as happier than the average person because of owning a pet.”

There are many people though who believe that owning a pet is a burden. Often, people are turned off with the responsibility that comes with owning pets. They can  also believe that pets don’t really do anything for you because animals don’t understand human emotions as well as we think.

Maggie Falkenberg, a senior at Glenbard South, believes that pets are extremely beneficial for mental health. Owning two cats herself, she understands the emotional attachment that’s there when owning a pet. “They just always know when you’re having a bad day and try to make you feel better.”

In conclusion, while owning a pet comes with much responsibility, studies show that pets are great for mental health. They can be helpful emotionally and make people feel less lonely. From dogs to tarantulas, pets can be anything that makes you feel like you have a friend.