A Year in Review: Final Broadcast for Raider News (23-24)
Kaitlyn Urbanowicz, Olivia Abbott, Ella Cottman, Simona Juknyte, Lili Olson, and Amelia BuhleApril 22, 2024

Archives

AP Literature: A Glimpse into Current Students’ Experiences

Photo by Clem Onojeghuo on Unsplash

In room 100, the bell rings and students find their seats. However, this is no ordinary English class – it  is the only section of AP English Literature and Composition at Glenbard South. The class, taught by Ms. Erin Doyle, boasts a mere fourteen students as a senior elective English class. 

With the intimate setting and study of classic literary works, the class has the atmosphere of a cozy book club. It is a tight-knit class community with a focus on learning and celebrating literature. 

When asked why she was drawn to taking the class, Matilda McLaren said, “ I love reading and dissecting literature with others.” McLaren continued, “It’s so rewarding to connect with others over the shared love of books.” 

For others, it was the additional AP credit that appealed to them. “I knew that this class would grant me a new credit compared to AP Lang, so I wanted to try something different, learn classic literature and also hopefully receive college credit,” said Ella Larramore. 

Similarly, Courtney Cardamone shared, “I took AP Lit because I enjoy reading and wanted to take a class that is dedicated to it. I also wanted to continue on the AP track after taking Lang and really liking it.” 

“I have been waiting for years to take this class, as I’ve always loved classic literature. I was excited to delve deeper into these dense texts with a supportive teacher and class,” said Kathy Georgieva. 

Like Georgieva, Julie Webb anticipated this class, saying, “My sister took this class a couple years ago, and so she talked about the books we read.” Webb explained that she thought the literary works sounded interesting, and decided to enroll in the class. 

When asked what has been the most impactful aspect of this class, Christian Pogorzelski stated, “It’s interesting making connections to present day stuff through what was old popular culture.”

“I have definitely gained reading comprehension and analysis skills. I love writing essays on books that I like and also learning how to apply literature to fun projects including art and film,” said Erika Hartman. Some of the projects AP Lit students have completed were finding pieces of art that reflected the themes of the book “The Yellow Birds” by Kevin Powers, or creating a skit or artistic rendition of “Dante’s Inferno”. 

“By taking this class, I have gained a much more mature outlook toward classic literature as Doyle teaches them in a fresh, engaging way through read-alouds and fun projects,” said Kathy Georgieva. 

“I have gained more experience and confidence in reading challenging pieces,” said Cardamone. 

“This class has the vibe of a real college course, so it prepares seniors well for their future. AP Lit provides an intimate setting that allows for engaging conversation and class connection,” said Larramore. 

“Others should without a doubt take this class, even if intimidated or a beginner to classic literature, because we get to explore novels and plays that are relevant, important and have shaped our society. Additionally, we get to read all kinds of novels, from short silly plays to contemporary war novels. It truly is the most safe and supportive environment of like-minded peers,” said Georgieva. 

Hartman expressed similar sentiments. “Take this class, I’m begging you,” said Hartman. “I will be a science and history major at college, yet AP Lit is still by far my favorite class this year. We get snacks, we read goofy little plays aloud, watch movies and chat.” 

A highly anticipated class by many, AP Literature is the perfect class to take for anyone who enjoys reading or wants to find that joy with like-minded peers and broaden their literary horizons. This class will give students the skills they need to succeed in college, as well as providing them with the enjoyment of reading thought-provoking works.