And Then There Were None

As Halloween approaches, there’s no better time for a thrilling murder-mystery novel.

Michaela Reif, Writer for The Scoop

As Halloween approaches, there’s no better time for a thrilling murder-mystery novel. Agatha Christie is the best selling-author of all time, and coined the “Queen of Crime,” she’s best known for her plethora of famous mystery novels. And Then There Were None is her crown jewel, selling the most copies of any of her novels. Published in 1939, And Then There Were None is a psychological thriller that’s absolutely perfect for a spooky Halloween night.

The novel begins on an isolated island, Devon, with eight unrelated people, each lured to the island by an invitation. Immediately, the guests sense that something is off. They are joined by the butler and housekeeper who announce that their hosts, the Owens, have yet to introduce themselves to any member of the family. In addition, each room contains the framed lyrics of a nursery rhyme “Ten Little Soldiers.” Eerily, ten toy soldiers are arranged on the dining room table.

After diner one night, a recording is played, accusing each of the members of the party of murder. From there, the party strays completely from reality. Mystery and death encroach on all ten guests of the house.

Typical of an Agatha Christie novel, And Then There Were None is full of psychology, tension and plot twists. Christie typically focuses more-so on the thrilling nature of a crime rather than on gory details, evoking a sense of fascination in her readers.

And Then There Were None is a masterpiece, combining Christie’s skills into a fantastic and captivating enigma. As one of my personal favorite crime novels, And Then There Were None is made even better by a cold, October night.

About the Writer
Michaela Reif, Writer

Michaela is a sophomore at Glenbard South and a writer for The Independent. Michaela is very involved in the Raider community, participating in clubs...