A Year in Review: Final Broadcast for Raider News (23-24)
Kaitlyn Urbanowicz, Olivia Abbott, Ella Cottman, Simona Juknyte, Lili Olson, and Amelia Buhle April 22, 2024

Underdressed at the Symphony: Faye Webster’s Untraditional Take on Breakup Music

Faye Webster released ‘Underdressed at the Symphony’ on March 1, 2024. (Source:https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/faye-webster-underdressed-at-the-symphony/)

The indie rock and bedroom pop artist Faye Webster has once again stunned her audience with the release of her new album, “Underdressed at the Symphony”. Rising star Faye Webster’s recent album perfectly encompasses the artist’s iconic mellow sound while adding new depth into her music with the innovative use of drums and synth. Loosely resembling that of a breakup album, Webster’s wispy vocals and directional instrumentation take the listener on a journey filled with emotion and reflection. 

The only negative that could spark controversy for the album is its repetitiveness, which drags a number of its songs to their exceptional length. According to Stereogum, a website focused on musical reviews, “The album…begins with ‘Thinking About You,’ six-and-a-half minutes of Webster’s relaxed yearning. It’s enticing as the bassline fades in, but it becomes repetitive.” However, while some criticize the album for its excessive length, others believe that the repetition and moments of silence throughout the tracks are riddled with meaning and symbolism. The Lantern, a different music review platform, takes the latter stance when they write that “Webster’s lyricism generally is understated… her mundane musings hint at more complex, unspoken thoughts and feelings.” Ultimately, this album, though only consisting of ten tracks, is quite lengthy. That being said, the meaning and thought put into every beat of Webster’s music maintains the listener’s attention. 

Faye Webster shines as an up-and-coming folk and indie artist, and, though some criticize her most recent album, her music should be commended for its deep meaning and thoughtfulness. Webster commences the album with “Thinking About You,” which is arguably one of the best songs on the record. The track creates a psychedelic mood that entrances and engages the listener. Though it exceeds six minutes, “Thinking About You” is certainly luxurious yet full of passion. It depicts the vivid image and feeling of what it is like to become obsessed and to fall in love with someone. Webster’s voice perfectly compliments the message behind her lyrics, and the instrumentals harmonize well with her soft voice. “The relaxed yet dazzling beat, supplemented by twinkling xylophonic notes, transports listeners to Webster’s daydream of falling asleep as soon as a lover holds her head, uncharacteristically trusting their assurance that ‘it’ll work out this time.’” The hypnotic repetition of the track’s title in the chorus and outro reflects the pure, heady bliss of ‘thinking about’ a beloved” (The Lantern). 

Following “Thinking About You” is one of the more upbeat, faster songs of the album: “But Not Kiss.” The song shifts perspective to falling out of love with someone. The entire album depicts the progression of a breakup, and-when listened to in order-tells a story which most of her audience can relate to. Not only lyrics for “But Not Kiss” show this part of the story, but the instrumentals as well. Similarly, tracks from this album such as “Ebay Purchase History” and  “Wanna Quit All the Time” are also relatable for the audience, as their melodies depict common feelings of frustration and hopelessness that come from a breakup (or, honestly, life in general). “Webster leans into the acoustic sounds of a freewheeling jam session. Her backing players—many of whom have been performing with her since her early days—take steps into the foreground. On ‘Wanna Quit All the Time,’ where she admits that ‘it’s the attention that freaks me out,’ yawning pedal steel and sparkling Fender Rhodes seem to speak in her stead” (Pitchfork Reviews). It is evident that Webster puts a lot of thought into her lyrics as well as inserting unique instrumentation while still staying true to her musical sound. 

Collaborating with popular artist Lil Yatchy, Webster released “Lego Ring” as part of “Underdressed at the Symphony”. Possibly one of the most anticipated releases for this album, Webster synthesizes her soft, melodic voice with the auto-tuned vocals of Lil Yatchy, creating a track that did not disappoint. Once again depicting a deteriorating romance, the lyrics of  “Lego Ring” in addition to the band, hold a meaning capable of telling this complicated and emotional story. According to The Lantern, “…considering her subdued lyricism, maybe this Lego ring that she ‘[wants] to hurt [her] finger’ is deeper than just a desired toy; perhaps it metaphorically represents a passionate yet problematic romance. Lyrics aside, the heavy background guitar drone, crisp piano notes and psychedelic chorus breakdown provide this playful track with stimulating musical buoys. Additionally, Yachty’s distorted backing vocals complement Webster’s and aid in melting the verse’s harsh instrumentals into the groovy chorus.” Once again, a seemingly playful song has, in actuality, been enriched with meaning.

Webster’s ability to tell a story through music is truly remarkable. As her album reaches its end, the listener is immersed in a bubble of empathy and understanding. Each and every song of Faye Webster’s “Underdressed at the Symphony” provides the listener with comforting music that unconventionally depicts the story of a breakup. Her innovation in the world of music and storytelling should be recognized and appreciated by more people as she takes risks and stays open with her emotions, which ultimately allows for listeners to feel connected to her. If you are looking for reflective and mellow but relatable music, consider listening to Faye Webster’s most recent album, “Underdressed at the Symphony” on Spotify, YouTube, Apple Music or Pandora.