A Year in Review: Final Broadcast for Raider News (23-24)
Kaitlyn Urbanowicz, Olivia Abbott, Ella Cottman, Simona Juknyte, Lili Olson, and Amelia Buhle April 22, 2024

Springtime Book Recommendations

My friends and I hosting a Jane Austen-themed picnic.
Kathy Georgieva

Spring: a season of budding flowers, breezy mornings and outdoor picnics. Here are some classic and contemporary novels to accompany your springtime reading and keep you entertained for those rainy April mornings. 

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

“You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you.”

Austen’s Pride and Prejudice is a timeless classic following the turbulent relationship between Elizabeth Bennet and the wealthy aristocrat Mr. Darcy. In the novel, characters must overcome their pride and prejudices to form meaningful and healthy relationships. Moreover, Austen critiques the social hierarchies and strict roles of regency-era England. Overall, its tender romance and beautiful atmosphere lend itself to a great springtime read. 

A Room with a View by E.M. Forster

“Let yourself go. Pull out from the depths those thoughts that you do not understand, and spread them out in the sunlight and know the meaning of them.” 

This early twentieth-century novel is centered around a young woman’s restraint in Edwardian England. The first half follows her tour of Italy with her protective aunt, where the main character explores her independence and finds love. It then develops into a wonderfully written, comedic novel commenting on changing social norms, freedom vs oppression and self-discovery. The highly acclaimed 1985 Merchant Ivory film adaptation by the same name is additionally a wonderful watch for the season.

Leaves of Grass by Walt Whitman

“Give me the splendid, silent sun with all his beams full-dazzling.” 

This collection of poems, the author’s magnum opus, is considered one of the most influential works of American literature. Composed of over 400 poems, the publication transcends convention with its free verse and explicit imagery. It celebrates the beauty of nature, individuality, love, spirituality and more, making it a perfect companion for springtime. 

Braiding Sweetgrass by Robin Wall Kimmerer

“I close my eyes and listen to the voices of the rain.” 

This nonfiction collection of essays presents indigenous wisdom and scientific knowledge regarding nature and the wisdom of plants. In this novel, Robin Wall Kimmerer, a botanist and member of the Citizen Potawatomi Nation, explores the notion that plants and animals are our oldest teachers, if only we open our eyes wider to notice. Its topics range from the spirit of community to the relationship between humanity and nature. Furthermore, the lyrical writing and vivid imagery make this a fascinating, informative and inspiring read.