Peers motivate students to success in gym

Emily Schmidt, Nation Writer

Ever heard of the gym class called peer tutor? Many have heard of it, but not many know what it is about. Peer tutor has been way to interact with special needs students and has also been an opportunity for students to learn life skills while making relationships with all the students in gym class.

First, peer tutor has been a gym class available to juniors and seniors. In this gym class, students, called peers, pair up with with special needs students, and play sports and activities with them as well as help them if need be. Some of the sports include  football, soccer, hockey, badminton and baseball. Some of the activities include parachute, where the class plays with a big parachute, a dance unit and “Fun Friday.” On “Fun Friday’s” the students have chosen what activities they liked to do.

Moreover, peer tutor has been similar to other gym classes. Junior Rachel Woods, 16, said, “A regular day looks like warming up together as a whole group, then doing various activities including hockey, going to the weight room and cardiovascular activities.”

In this class, peers have helped the students everyday with activities and sports. However, if the students get frustrated, the peers guide them through the process to try and help them refocus.

Furthermore, this class has been more than just exercise. It also has helped to build life skills.When asked why people should take peer tutor, Woods stated ,“It gives you a taste to what it’s like to cooperate with others and learn about yourself as an individual.”

In addition, to learn about what skills peers obtain by taking this course, Mr. Cordell, one of the teachers in the gym class, stated,“[They learn] how to build relationships, about how to deal with people in general, [and] how to deal with tough situations.”

Peer tutor has also built character. It has given people a taste of different scenarios that can happen on a daily basis and how to deal with the conflicts that arise.

As well as this, everyone had a favorite sport or activity they enjoyed doing. Senior Shea McGee, 17,  mentioned her favorite activity was,“Fun Fridays when we dance.”

Woods stated, “ My favorite activity would be the parachute activity.”

In addition, Mr. Cordell stated, “The outdoor sports are fun because  we can get outside.”

All in all, peer tutor has been a fun alternative for a gym elective because one gets to make new relationships with the students and other peers as well. During the class period, many transitions occur as peers help their students play a variety of sports and activities.

Peer Tutor has been a great way to build character and learn life skills and also  has enabled one to walk away with new friends who one may have for a lifetime.