A Year in Review: Final Broadcast for Raider News (23-24)
Kaitlyn Urbanowicz, Olivia Abbott, Ella Cottman, Simona Juknyte, Lili Olson, and Amelia Buhle April 22, 2024

Marching into Women’s March Madness

Photo from NCAA.com

With all the recent buzz around Women’s NCAA Division 1 basketball players like Caitlin Clark, Angel Reese and Paige Bueckers, it should come as no surprise that the 2024 Women’s March Madness (or NCAA Tournament) will not be one to miss!

University of Iowa dominated the Big 10, University of South Carolina went undefeated in the Southeastern Conference and University of Southern California ranked in the top spot for the Pac 12. With that being said, players from every conference nationwide will face each other to conclude their season through the March Madness tournament. 

The seeds are out and the bracket is set. The top seed in the first region is University of South Carolina! The Gamecocks went undefeated through their regular season and SEC championship, securing a record of 32-0. South Carolina is projected to make it to the final four after battling through games potentially versus Sacred Heart, North Carolina or Michigan State. Next, the top seed in the second region is no surprise: Iowa! WNBA Draftee Caitlin Clark led the Hawkeyes to attain a 29-4 record before becoming Big 10 Tournament champions. The Hawkeyes will first face Holy Cross and then either West Virginia or Princeton before advancing to the Sweet Sixteen. Moving onto the third region, University of Texas at Austin got the first seed from their regular season record of 30-4. The Longhorns were Big 12 SEC Tournament champions. The Longhorns were not expected to make it to a top seed, however, Texas pulled through and got the win that secured their seat in the Tournament. The top seed in the final region is University of Southern California. The travelers powered through the PAC-12 Tournament and defeated Stanford for the title. USC had not won a tournament title since 2014, but that was plenty to get them to the #1 spot for March Madness! 

The 64 Division 1 teams will be eliminated through the first and second rounds til the Sweet Sixteen that will battle in that bracket to get the Elite 8. The final four from each region will determine the semi-finalists to play in the final championship!