Deadly Mosque Attack in Egypt

epa06347846 People walk outside a mosque that was attacked in the northern city of Arish, Sinai Peninsula, Egypt, 24 November 2017. According to initial reports, dozens were killed and injured in a bombing and gunfire targeting worshipers leaving the Friday prayers in the northern city of Arish.  EPA-EFE/STR BEST QUALITY AVAILABLE

epa06347846 People walk outside a mosque that was attacked in the northern city of Arish, Sinai Peninsula, Egypt, 24 November 2017. According to initial reports, dozens were killed and injured in a bombing and gunfire targeting worshipers leaving the Friday prayers in the northern city of Arish. EPA-EFE/STR BEST QUALITY AVAILABLE

STR

STR

Tristen Blake, Writer

This year has been marked by many events. Sexual assault allegations, celebrity deaths and sadly terrorism. After many shocking terrorist attacks earlier this year, it seemed more and more people have become extremely cautious of their surroundings. But still the cowardly come out of the closet and harm innocent people for reasons that are nowhere near the price victims will have to pay.
On November 24, ISIS militants detonated a bomb in a mosque near the Sinai Peninsula. Soon after, 25 to 30 militants barged in and opened fire on the Mosque with automatic weapons.
In the aftermath, Egypt’s top prosecutor, Nabil Sadek, confirmed that there were 305 deaths and 128 injured in the attack. Also, there were 28 children killed in the attack. This was the worst terrorist attack on Egypt’s soil and his attack sent shockwaves across the country not only because of the scale of the but because of the kind of attack. Many of these acts before were usually committed against Coptic Christian churches and pilgrims, but always avoided Muslim-owned places of worship.

This attack added a new type of struggle to the ever going fight against the Islamic state in Egypt. Most of the victims were Sufi Muslims, who practice a type of Islam that ISIS deemed “heretical,” or unconventional. This has shown that ISIS has been desperate to fight back against crackdown the President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi severely enforced. Many world leaders such as Donald Trump condemned the attack. He is going to be contacting Abdel Fattah el-Sisi about the situation and any solutions to terrorism.

This attack was a huge blow to Egypt’s campaign for peace and fighting against terrorism and also a step backwards for the world and major countries dealing with and fighting to end terrorism across the globe.