Turnabout: Hit or miss?

Laurel Bacote, Editor-in-Chief

School dances are a great opportunity to have fun with your friends and jam to music. Plus, they are a great excuse to dress up.

Junior Julia Tillack said, “I love school dances! Life is too short not to enjoy the time you have in high school. School dances are so much fun and they create memories! When high schoolers become adults, they will regret not going to dances! At every dance, I love getting dressed up, taking pictures, going to a nice dinner, and ending the night with the best part-the dance!”

Glenbard South’s most recent dance, Turnabout, was on Saturday, March 20, 2016, named after for the fact that girls asked guys to the dance. While the dance went well, many goers would say that it also had cons.

As for pros, the dance was well-lit and considerably casual, giving the ladies a breather from having to get extremely dolled up.

Junior Melissa Padera said, “I was surprised how professional the light system was for a high school dance. Also, it wasn’t a really classy dance so there was no need to take four hours getting ready…”

On the other hand, the attendance rate was fairly low. Padera also said, “This may be due to girls being too shy to ask anyone.” With a lower attendance rate, the energy level was not high, which is disappointing since students go to dances to get hyped up.

Additionally, the dance could have had music that was a bit more upbeat, or more danceable music. The dance’s student DJ, junior Michael Chlapecka, played slower songs, making it a little harder to really dance and have fun.

However, towards the end of the night, the DJ played more hyped songs.

Tillack said, “When he played these type of fast paced songs, it was so much fun and such a great feeling [to be] bouncing up and down with your friends all in a circle, screaming the lyrics and having the time of your life!”

Although Turnabout was not perfect, it turned out to be a great success. It would not be a surprise if Turnabout reappeared next year.