“The Heaven and Earth Grocery Store”: American Progress
Abby Edwards, Scoop Writer • May 3, 2024

In “The Heaven and Earth Grocery Store” by James McBride, It is no secret that Chicken Hill is a place of struggle, and in 1930, Jews and African Americans had to depend...

Archives

Boys Cross Country Gets Their First Sectional Win in 22 Years

Taken by: Mrs.Jochum, Provided Via: @gbsboysxc Instagram account

The “dream team” is what Micheal King, former Glenbard South runner, calls this special group of boys pictured above. This boys’ cross country has been unbelievable this year and is nothing short of the best. On October twenty eighth, the boys had the 2023 IHSA 2a sectional meet at Lewis University. They had a lot of tough teams to compete with, but had one goal. Win. And that’s exactly what they did, ending out #1 on the leaderboard.

This team is led by their spectacular seniors Lucas Newman, Jaden Fredrick, Tim Jocum, Ben Zima and Micheal Bailey. Also supporting this team are speedy junior Luke Van Tholen and amazing freshman Tom Jochum. They are all great runners coached by Douglas Gorski and Chris Mactaggart. 

At the meet, while the whole team was successful, many of them did very well individually too.. Tim Jochum got an amazing finish at 3rd place in 15 minutes and 29 seconds, Jaden Frederick finished 5th in 15 minutes and 30 seconds, Micheal Bailey finished in 14th with a 16:04, Lucas Newman got 16th with a 16:06, Tom Jochum finished with a 16:47 in 17th place, Ben Zima got 35th with a 16:47 and Luke Van Tholen got 47th with a 17:18.

The boys’ next mission was their state meet where they placed 2nd overall. The seniors had one last ride and are ready to go out with a bang. When Tim Jochum was asked about his favorite part of cross country he said “I love being with my teammates throughout my entire career because of how motivating we are towards each other.” When Lucas Newman was asked the same question he responded “Team meals before races”.

Glenbard South boys cross country has had one of their best seasons ever and everyone is so proud of them. They gave it their all and we are ready to watch this new era of cross country at South led by Tom Jochum and Luke Van Tholen.

Provided Via: @gbsboysxc Instagram account