A Year in Review: Final Broadcast for Raider News (23-24)
Kaitlyn Urbanowicz, Olivia Abbott, Ella Cottman, Simona Juknyte, Lili Olson, and Amelia Buhle April 22, 2024

Archives

The Land is Inhospitable and So Are We: A Meticulous Masterpiece

Mitski’s Album Cover

On September 15, 2023, the indie-rock sensation, Mitski, released a new album that captivated fans everywhere. This album, The Land Is Inhospitable and So Are We, quickly climbed the charts in the U.S., UK, Canada, Australia, Malaysia, Ireland and more. 

The Land is Inhospitable and So Are We is often interpreted as an indie album., However, Mitski’s latest also includes hints of Americana, contemporary folk and rock. Mitski explores themes of love, loss, over-indulgence and the viciously honest reality of change. The 11-song collection shocked listeners with its sincerity and rawness, a fundamental part of Mitski’s style, taking listeners on a journey through emotion and self-discovery. The album is surprisingly vulnerable, expressing Mitski’s most personal and hidden feelings, and the honesty of her lyrics allows fans to relate to music about emotions they themselves cannot put into words.

The most beloved song on the album, which has been #4 on Spotify charts with a total of 185,410,463 streams worldwide, “My Love Mine All Mine”, reflects on love’s permanence in a world where everything else is constantly changing. The opening line, “moon, a hole of light, through the big top tent up highestablishes the moon as a recurring symbol in the song. In a Genius interview, Mitski said, ”I couldn’t wrap my mind around the fact that that moon was there before I ever existed… In moon years, I’m like a speck of dust floating, maybe for a few seconds, completely insignificant, and then I disappear.” The moon, in this case, can be interpreted as the sole source of light in a world of darkness, similar to love being the one light during hopeless times. This reference to the moon also employs a spiritual and heavenly theme to the song, which is common among the rest of the album. The chorus, which reads “nothing in the world belongs to me but my love, mine, all mine, all mine explores the idea that love is the sole thing she is able to hang onto through periods of change. While growing up, Mitski moved around often, making change a routine in her life. Many hypothesize that the song is not a typical love song, which is often about another person, and instead more about self-love or the act of loving itself, which would make the lyrics even more vulnerable and personal.

Another notable song, “Bug Like An Angel,” was released two months prior to the album’s release. This poetic, melodic song examines concepts of self-destruction and evil, calling on religious themes as well. The bug represents sinfulness and temptation, yet the title hints that this bug was once an angel basking in God’s grace. The song also utilizes a choir, which joins in at sometimes a drink feels like family.” The multiple voices represent the “family” that drinking gives to Mitski. The choir also adds a heavenly resonance, again stressing the religious themes in the song. As the song goes on, it becomes clear that, although Mitski is ashamed of her mistakes, she will continue to repeat them, for she is only human. “Bug Like An Angel” is a great example of how Mitski does not hide from reality in her music, admitting truths that most are too afraid to admit about themselves. 

Imagery can be seen throughout the entirety of The Land Is Inhospitable and So Are We. For example, in “The Frost”, Mitski uses frost as a metaphor for life being stale, cold and without any connection or warmth. The song tells a story of her waking up in a world covered with frost, devoid of life. She references being the only one left after losing her best friend. This song was most likely inspired by a personal loss she experienced, yet the “best friend” in the song is left ambiguous, which means this loss is not necessarily another person, as many assume. The song also mentions an attic, which symbolizes how alone she truly feels. An attic is typically a place where things are stored and forgotten, hinting that Mitski feels the same way. 

Overall, The Land Is Inhospitable and So Are We is much deeper and emotional than it seems at first glance. The imagery and themes employed throughout the album create a passionate and moving masterpiece, which touches the hearts of long-time fans and first-time listeners alike. Every song, although with its unique touch, is tied to the others to build a complex story and message. All the vocals, instrumentals and lyrics have significance, and in some way or another evoke deep feeling in the listener. The amount of dedication, sincerity and authenticity that was put into this album arguably gives it the title of one of Mitski’s greatest albums.