“The Heaven and Earth Grocery Store”: American Progress
Abby Edwards, Scoop Writer • May 3, 2024

In “The Heaven and Earth Grocery Store” by James McBride, It is no secret that Chicken Hill is a place of struggle, and in 1930, Jews and African Americans had to depend...

Falling Into Winter Sports

Source: Keith Lavin on X

After amazing seasons all around, fall sports are coming to an end! Senior night has been celebrated for most fall sports. However, 2023-2024 winter sport tryouts are quickly approaching! Fall sports are just a short three months, yet they signify a kickoff to the new school year and give many athletes a reason to keep pushing through challenging classes. Here the success of most of our fall sports is going to be recognized!

To start with the fall sport with the highest attendance: Football.  Football conquered their conference game with South Elgin with a tight score of 14-13. The Raiders led 14-0 at the half and were able to maintain their lead through to the end. Now, the Raiders are 7-0 in conference after their win over West Chicago on the 6th! After that, the Raiders will play Glenbard East @ Glenbard East to make one step closer toward conference champs!

Girls’ Varsity Volleyball unfortunately lost their conference game to West Chicago on the 5th, but put up a tough fight against six senior starters. They will now take second place in the conference spot after their 8-6 record all around. Seniors of the Girls Varsity Volleyball team include Sophia Alcala, Destiny Hudson-Mason and Megan Daca. 

The Boys’ Varsity Soccer Team had an amazing start to their season putting up an 8-0 score over Montini at their Raider Invite. They went on to secure a 5-13 record so far with two ties! Seniors of the varsity team include Phinees Kula, Nick Miranda, Aaron Bernsten and Paul Quint. The boys’ JV Soccer Team is still finishing out their season after a 2-2 tie with Leyden at the Raider Invite. So far, they have a record of 4-11. Next, Both Girls Varsity and JV Tennis achieved the Upstate Eight Conference Champion title for the fifth time in a row! Not only did they win conference, but they did so while being undefeated. Seniors of the varsity tennis team include Sa’Naya Allen, Bekah Brzezinski, Skylar Fischer, Lorenza Foster-Simbulan, Lexia Hagedorn, Ericka Hartman, Tia Knuth, Allie Mizwicki, Emily Puchalski  and Joy Shim. The varsity team has a 10-3 record so far, but it’s safe to assume they will be securing even more wins! 

Girls Cross Country has also had a successful season with seven potential state qualifiers on the team! Cross Country has had seven away meets they’ve done amazing at, heightening their personal records. The team kicked off their season with time trials at Blue and White Night before fun events throughout the season like a Christmas-themed meet and cheering on Coach McManus at the Chicago Marathon! Seniors of the Varsity XC team include Ava Benes, Elaina Blaim, Mary Kate Pinkelman and Lauren Price. Glenbard Girls Swimming has eleven away meets scheduled for Glenbard Souths’ co-op team with West. They celebrated senior night for their five amazing seniors on September 26th and are anxiously awaiting conference on October 20th!

The Varsity Girls Golfers have completed their season after eighteen tough matches! The team celebrated their five varsity seniors on September 26th. The team’s seniors include Sienna Marshall, Danielle Bulthuis, Ella Zeman, Rayna Davis, Abby Deporter and Sydney Kiley. An honorable success from the team was their 3rd place conference win! 

Next up is Boys Varsity Golf! On the flip side, Boys golf has also had quite the season! Team seniors Jadon Kingsley, Sean Stewart, and Nick Windeler led the team through seven team wins. The boys finished their regular season early on September 14 before heading into conference matches.

Overall, it is safe to say that Glenbard South had a successful first sports season for the 2023-2024 school year. Be on the lookout for wins from our basketball, bowling, gymnastics, cheer and dance teams this winter!