Just keep singing

Back to Article
Back to Article

Just keep singing

Kylie Miskovic, Bottom Line Writer

Everyone has felt like a Grammy Award winning singer while singing alone in their car at some point. However, not many people know that singing in the car has psychological and physical benefits.

Singing in the car releases “feel-good” hormones called oxytocin, dopamine and serotonin. Oxytocin establishes trust and helps form connections, so singing in the car with others can actually improve friendships. Similarly, dopamine creates feelings of happiness and contentedness, which can reduce road rage or help with symptoms of depression. Serotonin also reduces anxiety, so singing in the car can actually make make one feel more relaxed. This is a great option for people who have difficulty managing their stress in the car. While sitting in the car on long rides to work every day can be frustrating and boring, singing can break up the monotony and even make one less stressed in the long run.

Not only does singing in the car have the potential to make a person happier, it can also have health benefits. Singing forces one to take deep breaths and expand one’s lungs in a way one normally would not. This can help with breathing throughout the entire day-not just the time spent in the car. Also, the strengthening of the throat muscles can help with a more restful sleep at night. In the morning car ride to work or school, singing along to some upbeat songs in the car can get the blood flowing and adrenaline pumping.

Who knew that the car ride to school could be better than a cup of coffee?

Although singing in the car can be fun and beneficial to health, it is important to stay safe at all times. After all, cars are one of the most dangerous things we use in our everyday lives, so it is important to keep one’s eyes on the road while rocking out in the car.

Do not be afraid of the people in the next car staring or giggling.  Singing with friends or alone in the car can be a great benefit to one’s mental and physical health–and it is fun.