A Year in Review: Final Broadcast for Raider News (23-24)
Kaitlyn Urbanowicz, Olivia Abbott, Ella Cottman, Simona Juknyte, Lili Olson, and Amelia BuhleApril 22, 2024

Leave It All On The Dance Floor

365 days in a year, and 364 of them are used to practice, but that one day is when it all matters. In fact it is just 2 minutes and 46 seconds of the year when it all is left on the dance floor. Every year during the middle of January the National Universal Dance Association (UDA) dance competition is hosted for all D1 universities with a competitive dance team. All teams come to fight it out on the dance floor for that national title. One team in particular that stood out this year was Ohio State University and their jazz routine . Despite only being on the stage for about 3 minutes, Their performance left the entire world with goosebumps, with conversations about it for days afterward. . So what made this routine so incredible? Let us  dig a little deeper into what it takes to  perform at the UDA competition, and why OSU’s jazz performance stole the show

Only the best of the best dance university teams compete at the D1 level, the most competitive level of collegiate competition. There are three categories at the UDA competition: Hip Hop, Jazz, and Poms. Each team must compete in at least two of the categories so dancing in  the categories with their highest level of strengths is key..  There will be three national champions total, with each category having one team crowned winner. 

Ohio State performed in the Poms and Jazz performance, but the one they shined in was Jazz. Their routine was almost 3 minutes long with impressive lifts, stunts, and full-out turns. Ohio State danced to the song “My Way” sung by Frank Sinatra. With this song selection, their dance incorporated lots of facial expressions and strong body language movements. Their capability to dance to the beat of a very moving song was inspiring to the world. Ohio State also wowed the judges with how well they incorporated their costumes into the dance. They wore a red tie around their neck and used it in many of their movements and stunts. Ohio State took home the national championship in the Jazz category scoring a 98.9 out of 100! Not a single soul in the crowd was complaining about the results; the award was well-earned. Serious congratulations are in order to The University of Ohio State dance team and the world is so excited to see what they pull off next year.