A Year in Review: Final Broadcast for Raider News (23-24)
Kaitlyn Urbanowicz, Olivia Abbott, Ella Cottman, Simona Juknyte, Lili Olson, and Amelia BuhleApril 22, 2024

Start to Finish

If someone were to ask you to name 5 sports, what would they be? I have a feeling no one will mention cross country otherwise known as XC. It may not be one of the more well-known sports out there, but that does not define its importance. In cross country, each contestant must run 3.1 miles, or in other words, a 5k. Typically, there are 2 levels of the race: the varsity race and the JV/open race. The distance and race itself are the same but the competition between the two may vary. While the athletes run, people line up around the course cheering them on to finish. The XC community is very supportive, whether you finish in first place or last! XC is both mentally and physically challenging. It is physically demanding to try to run 3 miles straight while keeping a fast pace. Runners have to practice every day, just like any other sport. The constant running can take a serious toll on the body. The shins, knees, feet, Achilles, hamstrings-just to name a few-can be affected by the races. The mental component of XC is the importance of motivation and drive. While running a race with 300 other girls, runners may be intimidated. Motivating and pushing oneself  to cross that finish line is a struggle every girl faces. Just like any other sport,, it is important to perform to the best of one’s ability. Running a bad race is a huge mental block for many runners. Putting in all that work and effort, allto not perform well, can be very frustrating.

Aside from the struggles of XC, the sport allows for many fun experiences. Before every meet, the team has a pasta party. For starters, carbs are really good for fueling the body before a race. On the other hand, it’s another way for the team to get together and have fun. Another activity the team does is sister bags. At the beginning of the season, everyone pulls a name out of the bag and whoever you pull is your “sister”. You buy them fun treats to enjoy after their race and vice versa. It is something to look forward to as a reward, after the long, tiring races. 

No matter what anyone says, XC is a challenging sport that deserves much more recognition than it gets. I hope that everyone goes out for a sport that they love, even if it’s a new sport to give it a try. Maybe someday the new sport you try will provide a new community that you get to experience and embrace!