A Year in Review: Final Broadcast for Raider News (23-24)
Kaitlyn Urbanowicz, Olivia Abbott, Ella Cottman, Simona Juknyte, Lili Olson, and Amelia BuhleApril 22, 2024

Shooting for Par

Lombard Golf Course. Picture by Sydney David

The Glenbard South girls’ golf team is in the midst of its season. Kevin Berger is the Head Coach, working alongside  JV Coach Wade Hardtke. This year, the team is proving that anything is possible with enough practice.

The seniors on the golf team this year are Abby Deporter, Ella Zeman, Sienna Marshall, Sydney Kiley, Dani Bulthuis and Reyna Davis. Abby Deporter, who has the 1st spot on varsity, scored an 82 at the Ram Invitational on Saturday, September 9th, 2023. This is the best score ever recorded by a Raider at the Ram Invitational. Abby Deporter has displayed an impressive style of golf throughout her years at South, and can shoot for par on the course. 

This year, there are 22 girls on the team, even though girls’ golf is normally one of the smaller, uncut and overlooked sports. Freshman Savanna Hagedorn stated, “I first realized I wanted to play golf when I was not confident with volleyball. My dad always wanted me to play.”

“Some challenges I faced were staying motivated. Even though it may look simple, golf is very tiring and draining if you don’t play well. I learned that sports aren’t just sports. You learn a lot and make new friends.”

As the season progresses, there is always room for growth. More conference matches are coming up, which will determine the team’s spot for their final conference match. Due to its seven week season, the time for girls’ golf is coming to an close quickly. However, the girls are determined to make the season the best they can and to score well at all of the matches.