Floral Symphony

Emma Pekkarinen, School News Writer

To raise money for the music department at Glenbard South, the Glenbard South Boosters held the Floral Symphony, a blending of Glenbard South performers and skilled florists for an evening of delight that has been put on for 29 years. The event was held on Wednesday March 9th 7:00pm with student music performances beginning at 6:30. The music ensembles performed before the show, during intermission, in between the florists’ work and after the show ended.  

The floral show started at 7:00pm. Florists designed arrangements during the event to be raffled off to audience members. As the florists created a piece, the Master of Ceremonies spoke about the flowers and the techniques to educate and captivate the audience in the art. Four florists/floral design groups participated: Andrew’s Garden Floral Couture of Wheaton, The Green Branch of Glen Ellyn, CFD Wedding and Special Occasion Flowers of Glen Ellyn, and Walden Floral Design Co. of Downers Grove. The Master of Ceremonies was Daniel Stober, an AIFD CFD (a Certified Floral Designer through the American Institute of Floral Designers), former Floral Designer of the Year and Creative Director of Flower and Garden Show Productions.       

An ensemble of Orchestra students including Sofi Grimes (junior), Aryan Sandoval (senior), Lorenza Foster-Simbulan (sophomore), and David Savenok (junior), performed as the event began and people took their seats. The choir performed with various groups at intermission. A brass quintet of Glenbard South band students performed as well. The brass quintet included David Ankerberg (senior), Jack Bair (junior), Dominic Costello (sophomore), James Madison (senior), and Gabrielle Michael (senior). To close the event, some of the Glenbard South acapella ensembles showcased their talents too. The Unaccompanied Minors, a student run and an outside of school ensemble, were first to perform. Treble Threat, another student run ensemble, sang next. The third ensemble was Raider Voices, a group run by Mrs. Hutchinson, the choir director at Glenbard South.

Overall, the event was a lovely continuation of a long standing tradition that demonstrates the community’s support for music students at Glenbard South.