“Don’t Look Up:” A Warning in Satirical Disguise

Source%3A+Moviefit

Source: Moviefit

Haley Wong, Sports Writer

Humanity is fascinated with the end of the world. Ever since the beginning of time, mankind has pondered upon their grand finale. Movies, TV shows, books and many mediums alike have attempted to predict the apocalypse, so what makes “Don’t Look Up” special? Perhaps its defining feature is a horrific and unmistakable resemblance to the world today which all too often dismisses the possibility of its own downfall.

Comets are Kate Dibiasky’s (Jennifer Lawrence) speciality. As an astronomer working towards her PhD, her whole existence revolves around space. There was a time when discovering a comet meant credit in her community, but her most recent chance discovery will transform the lives of everyone on the planet for good. Initially, she invites her fellow astronomer buddies to celebrate her seemingly innocent discovery. The festivity is short-lived. Dr. Randall Mindy (Leonardo DiCaprio), a humble astronomy professor, runs the numbers and unearths a startling revelation. According to his calculations, the newfound comet is scheduled to hit Earth in six months and fourteen days, wiping out the entire population in the process. A brief call to Dr. Teddy Oglethorpe (Rob Morgan), the head of the Planetary Defense Coordination Office, confirms the data and sends both Dibiasky and Mindy into a downward spiral. 

Dr. Oglethorpe accompanies the pair to DC where they inform the president (Meryl Streep) and her son (Jonah Hill) of their impending doom. Unfortunately, when it comes to the government’s priorities, the upcoming midterm elections take precedence over the inevitable extinction of the planet. The blatant and comical indifference of the cabinet leaves the scientific trio no choice but to leak the doomsday details to the public. Their best bet at reaching an audience is booking a talk show hosted by two superficial news anchors (Cate Blanchett, Tyler Perry) determined to sugar coat even the worst news. Regardless of their effort, the plan backfires and the only public attention which their short-lived TV appearance gains is from snide social media users deeming them conspiracy theorists. 

As the annihilation of the human race approaches, two vastly different viewpoints emerge at the center of the conflict. One group urges the world to open their eyes and acknowledge the danger descending from the cosmos above. The other, as the title of the movie suggests, discourages them from looking up and coming to terms with their upcoming demise. Determined to save the world, Kate and Mindy fight to break through the boundaries of a preoccupied society detained by their division.

Source: Los Angeles Times

“Don’t Look Up” is nightmarishly funny. When I saw the trailer, I was expecting this movie to be forgettable. In reality, it is everything but. The vivid concept of a dying world in denial will stick with viewers for days after the credits roll and is a pronounced nod to the current climate crisis. It achieves something greatly unique in that it issues a grand call to action while simultaneously getting viewers to laugh at themselves.

Contrasting responses to the crisis displayed in the film open up a conversation about the darkest flaws of human nature. There is something to be said about the way humans behave when worse goes to worst, encapsulated so very well in this apocalyptic scenario. When confronted with the harsh truth of a hopeless situation, many will lose sense of who they are. Kate and Mindy go through the most intriguing metamorphosis, leaving behind their calculated lives for recklessness and spontaneity.

Despite a promising Critics Choice Nominee, real-life critics were not in favor of the movie. Many dubbed it “too angry,” claiming that the entire point of the film was muddied after two hours of disheveled outrage. It is no secret that “Don’t Look Up” is emotional, although in all honesty every emotion bounces back and forth between either rage, disbelief or despair, never once leaving the confines of this miserable Holy Trinity. Of course, characters in constant states of agony are only amusing to a certain extent, and writer and director Adam McKay has definitely toed the line here. Such unadulterated fury in movie format almost feels like a visual lecture. However, who is to say that a lecture is not exactly what humankind needs right now as global catastrophes continue to be ignored?

Source: Netflix

The casting brings forth memories of Disney’s live action “Into The Woods” since this movie is absolutely overflowing with award winners. Nevertheless, each and every actor played their roles excellently regardless of the occasional cartoonish nature of the scripted characters. DiCaprio’s performance especially was notably believable. Cameos from the likes of Ariana Grande, Timothée Chalamet and Kid Cudi were surprising yet somehow fitting in a hilariously self-aware way.

Pointedly sporadic camera work allows the audience to get to know the characters on an intimate level as well as establishing character traits which were otherwise cut for time in the midst of the hurried exposition.

“Don’t Look Up” is a laughable existential crisis. Netflix’s latest dystopia compels its viewers to admit to how much they truly have to lose and begs them to protect it while they still can.