Fiddler on the Roof

Fiddler on the Roof

Iqra Baggia, Scoop Editor

It is that time of the year again– the musical is arriving at Glenbard South. This year, director Amy Newlan says “I chose Fiddler on the Roof because it is a classical musical, and I know the audiences will love it. Its themes are timeless and especially relevant to today’s world culture.”

The Fiddler on the Roof stars a man by the name of Tevye, played by GBS’ sophomore, Justin Martinez, a poor Jewish milkman with five daughters living in Russia in the year 1905. Just like the perch of a fiddler on the roof, they live extremely precarious lives. At his home, everyone is very busy preparing for the Sabbath meal when the village matchmaker arrives to announce that a local butcher, by the name of Lazar Wolf, who is older than Tevye, asks to marry Tevye’s eldest daughter, Tzeitel. What the audience finds out is that she has no desire to marry this butcher because she desires another man, Motel, the tailor’s son..

In the midst of all of this, musical numbers are performed such as “If I Were a Rich Man?” and “To Life.”

As the story progresses, the audience will learn that many secret relationships arise amongst Tevye’s daughters. This is where director Newman’s reasoning of the play being a reflection of today’s culture comes to light. Tevye, being a man of strict tradition, begins to learn that the world is changing and that some things are simply out of his control. As the Russians begin expelling the Jewish people from their villages, Tevye and his family must come to the realization that they will have to leave all that they know behind.

Having somewhat of an understanding of what the musical will be about should cause the audience to be rapt with attention to learn all of the little details. The play is, as Director Newlan stated, classic and must create a very high bar to reach for the actors that reside in it.

When looking into what a typical rehearsal, looks like, director Newlan states, “Typical rehearsal involves us blocking scenes, which means positioning the actors in their specific locations. We work on when they move why they move, and where they move to. We then run the scenes to make sure they understand the sequence. Then we work on characterization and character history. We work scenes over and over until we feel confident about them. Actors have spent months of rehearsal working on making it look like the characters are speaking these lines for the very first time.”

There are big hopes for the opening night, November 16th and the following performances of the 17th, and 18th. Director Newlan hopes “opening night allows the audience and cast to experience the true magic of theater. I hope everything runs smoothly and that everyone is delighted by the story that unfolds.”

With all the preparation that is unfolding in the theatre department, it is the hope of many that the classic play The Fiddler on the Roof gets the standing ovation it deserves.

Tickets can be purchased for $10 at the door or purchased in the Commons during lunch periods. Performances are  Thursday, November 16th, Friday, November 17th and Saturday, November 18th, at 7:00 p.m.