National Honor Society holds introduction ceremony to welcome new members

Allyson Glahe, Writer

The Glenbard South National Honor Society (NHS) hosted its induction ceremony on April 20 at 7:30 p.m. in the auditorium to welcome new members and say farewell to old ones.

The National Honor Society is an organization that encourages high school students nationwide to have good scholarship, leadership, service and character. At Glenbard South,  students who meet the established criteria are asked to apply for NHS at the end of junior year. Then, students who are accepted into NHS do volunteer work throughout their senior year. Members meet once a month, usually the first Wednesday of each month, to sign up for volunteer activities held during that month. Even though members only have to complete 15 hours by the end of their senior year, there are so many options to choose from that it is easy to go far beyond that.

During the induction ceremony, President Ted Hume gave his speech on leadership, Vice President Katie Longo gave her speech on character, Secretary Rebecca Han gave her speech on scholarship and Treasurer Logan Fenhouse gave her speech on Service.  Afterwards, new members were called up to the stage in alphabetical order to accept their certificates and be officially welcomed into NHS.

Altogether, the induction ceremony welcomed 74 new members and inspired old members to continue their volunteer work after high school. Not only has volunteer work taught students about leadership, service, character and scholarship, but it has also been a fun way to give back to the community.