“The Heaven and Earth Grocery Store”: American Progress
Abby Edwards, Scoop Writer • May 3, 2024

In “The Heaven and Earth Grocery Store” by James McBride, It is no secret that Chicken Hill is a place of struggle, and in 1930, Jews and African Americans had to depend...

The Laufey Experience

Kendall Ullrick

Laufey is a 24 year old Grammy nominated jazz artist who I recently had the opportunity to see in concert. Laufey mainly grew up in Iceland, but is currently based in Los Angeles. Laufey began learning music when she was four years old, and was a contestant on The Voice Iceland

To say her performance met my expectations would be an understatement. From the moment I arrived at the venue, I could tell the concert would be a good experience. As a teenage girl, going to a concert where almost everyone is older than you can be quite intimidating, but the abundance of positive energy created a supportive atmosphere where anyone would feel welcome. Everyone was there for the same reason: to have a good time and listen to music. As far as the actual set went, I was blown away. Everything from the props to the lighting was incredible. Laufey’s stage presence was very unique compared to other popular performers. Her voice was stunning and raw; she never lip synced the whole set. Laufey was freely herself, dancing around the stage and playing a wide variety of instruments. Even with the whole band behind her, it felt like she was the only one on stage: just her and her guitar.

It was surprising to see how Laufey could change the mood of the audience. She ensured that her audience felt appreciated and secure throughout the entire performance. It was obvious she was having fun performing, and the crowd eagerly matched her energy. She often had conversations with the audience in between songs. The setlist was cleverly composed, touching on her most popular songs, like “From The Start” and “Falling Behind,” as well as lesser known but equally beautiful songs such as “Letter To My 13 Year Old Self and Best Friend,” creating a good balance that newer fans as well as long time followers of Laufey could enjoy.  If ever presented with the opportunity to see Laufey in concert, I strongly recommend going. Even if you have not heard a single song of hers, you will leave with invaluable  memories.