Creative Writing Club Field Trip

Matilda McLaren, School News Writer

At Glenbard South, creativity is fostered through enriching extracurricular activities that encourage students to integrate academics with the fun of artistic pursuits. Creative Writing Club, sponsored by staff member Mr. Aye, is an example of this. The club began for the first time in August of 2021 and holds weekly Thursday meetings open to all students (and even faculty members). The club meetings begin at 2:35 pm and normally finish by 4:00 pm. 

On February 24th, the Creative Writing Club will go on an approved field trip to the American Writers Museum in Chicago. Students are expected to depart at 8:30 am and return to school by 1:00 pm. Alongside faculty chaperones Mrs. Harper, Mr. Aye, Mrs. Demos and Mrs. Chaloka, students will commemorate Black History Month while viewing museum curated materials and writing samples. The purpose of the trip is to navigate the notable influence of Black writers on American history and literature. Upon entering, students will experience a fifteen to twenty minute introduction to the museum through extremely interactive exhibits. Academic instruction and a post-field trip conversation will also be held to aid students in learning about the topic of racial identity. 

To learn more about the American Writers Museum, or ask about the field trip, contact Mr. Aye or Mrs. Harper.