Dance Competion Preview

Aliyah Edelstein, Sports Writer

The Glenbard South Dance Team has competed three times so far in the 2018 season. Its first competition was at Wheaton North High School, its second was at Andrew High School, and its third was as Oak Forest High School.

At Wheaton North on November 4th, the Varsity Team competed with its jazz routine to “Sweet Dreams” and placed 4th overall in its division with a score of sixty-eight, three points away from third place. The Junior Varsity Team performed its pom routine to “Beat It.” All in all, both teams were proud of its execution and prepared themselves for the next competition by changing minor details in each dance. By critiquing formations or adding more challenging moves, the dance level goes up so more points could be achieved.

At Andrew High School on November 17th, the Varsity Team once again competed with its jazz routine to “Sweet Dreams” and placed 4th overall in their division with a score of 73.5, half a point away from third. Meanwhile, the Junior Varsity Team also performed its pom routine to “Beat It” again and its score went up five points from the previous time. Both teams had major improvements in their scores and in the quality of their performances.

Haley Kruis, the varsity dance coach shared her excitement on the dances. “Our goal is to beat ourselves, and that makes both teams undefeated. In all seriousness, going up five points in one week is so impressive.”

To continue this growth and confidence, Kruis said, “If we want to hear our names called at competitions we have to stay focused, make every practice count and push ourselves. We must grow as a team, dance as a team, win as a team.”

The Raiderettes competed at Oak Forest on December 2nd, with Varsity performing both its lyrical routine to “To Love You More” and its jazz routine to “Sweet Dreams” while Junior Varsity performed their pom routine to “Beat it”. The Varsity Dance Team won third place in its conference with a trophy to take home.

The girls were ecstatic to have finally placed at a competition. The team can not wait until their next competition at Warren High School on December 16th to hopefully place again.