A Year in Review: Final Broadcast for Raider News (23-24)
Kaitlyn Urbanowicz, Olivia Abbott, Ella Cottman, Simona Juknyte, Lili Olson, and Amelia BuhleApril 22, 2024

Light Up Your Holiday Spirit At The Morton Arboretum

https%3A%2F%2Fmortonarb.org%2Fexplore%2Factivities%2Fexhibitions%2Fillumination%2F%0A
https://mortonarb.org/explore/activities/exhibitions/illumination/

Lights! Camera! Illumination! If you are looking for something to do this holiday season, then the Morton Arboretum is the place for you! Each year, thousands of people make their way to the Morton Arboretum to experience the magic of the Arboretum’s holiday light display. However, this is not just any light display; it is an immersive experience complete with music, special effects and delicious hot chocolate. This is the eleventh year that Illumination surprises the community with a revolutionary approach to celebrating the holiday season. Members of the Arboretum as well as nonmembers are welcome to purchase tickets here on the Morton Arboretum Website in order to visit this incredible display of holiday spirit. 

You might be wondering, “Well, why are these lights so special?” But fear not, there are many reasons why the Morton Arboretum objectively has the best light show of the season. One of the most appealing attributes of Illumination is its relative proximity to the Glenbard South community. This astounding arboretum is not even five minutes away from Glenbard South by car, so there is no reason not to take advantage of such a gorgeous show nearby! 

If you are not a fan of the cold, have no fear. You can still have a wonderful time! Stationed throughout the trail, the Arboretum has concession stands with delectable hot chocolate, hot apple cider, coffee and an assortment of different treats such as the crowd favorite: s’mores.  Right outside of each concession stand is a fire pit where visitors are welcome to huddle around while sipping on their warm, seasonal drinks. Not only will you be filled with the warmth of your delicious concession treats and the enticing fire pit, but the joy all around you is sure to create special memories as well. 

Undeniably, Illumination has the most clever and creative display of lights around. The impeccable beauty of nature combined with soothing music, special effects and the sparkling lights is an image that will last a lifetime. Even before you set foot into the Arboretum, you can see its bright spotlights, vibrant trees and florescent colors illuminating the sky. It only gets better from there. Upon entering the Arboretum, its beauty makes one forget about any worries they may have had before. The awe-inspiring, dynamic lights and the accompanying music can change perspectives. While the experience is entirely self-paced, it feels as though time stops as you are put into a trance by the compelling special effects. 

Illumination is made up of many different sections, each featuring different types of trees. As you see the lights float on top of the lake and dance to the music, you can also learn more about the nature that surrounds you by reading the small plaques placed around the exhibit. Not only do the lights react to music, but some of the different sections are even interactive! If you visit, make sure you stop to take a picture in the notable “Hug Me” tree gallery where people show their appreciation for beautiful lights and nature by giving a tree a hug. Each section is uniquely alluring yet none of them feel out of place because of the seamless transitions between each section. 

This stunning display of seasonal sentiments and appreciation for nature is something you do not want to miss. Marvel at the exquisite lights, become entranced by the luxurious music and show your love for the holiday season at the Morton Arboretum’s Illumination light display from November 18, 2023 to January 6, 2024. This is a splendid way to get into the holiday spirit, so gather your friends and family, grab your camera and buy your tickets for this lovely demonstration of holiday spirit now!