A Year in Review: Final Broadcast for Raider News (23-24)
Kaitlyn Urbanowicz, Olivia Abbott, Ella Cottman, Simona Juknyte, Lili Olson, and Amelia Buhle April 22, 2024

Archives

First Friendsgiving for the Raiders

Although Thanksgiving is often overlooked in preparation for the festive winter season, many people in November take time to come together with their closest friends- in addition to their families. Surprisingly, the term that describes this get together, Friendsgiving, is relatively new. It has gained continuous popularity since its first appearances on Twitter in 2007, according to Merriam Webster. Celebrations usually consist of a potluck style meal among friends or community members. 

Starting a new tradition this year, a group of Glenbard South Clubs organized the school’s first Friendsgiving. Hosted on International Friendsgiving Day, students purchased ten dollar tickets for a buffet style dinner in the Faculty Lounge, dishes provided by generous members of Black Excellence United (BEU), Asian Initiative, French Club, Muslim Student Association (MSA), Latino Unidos and Equality Team. The Covid-19 Pandemic prevented BEU sponsor Mrs. Jamea Harper from coordinating her idea the past two years, finally getting the go ahead this fall. Inspired by the Netflix series High on the Hog, a showcase of the history of African American dishes and community, the BEU sponsor hoped that, “students tried new food, valued all the different backgrounds we have at GBS and just enjoyed sharing a meal with their fellow Raiders.”

Mr. Harpalani, Asian Initiative sponsor and Math Department Chair, agreed adding that he hoped attendees “explored different cultures and food.”

Some favorite prepared dishes included chicken diane, halo-halo, as well as seniors Joy Shim and Emily Puchalski’s favorite, the samosa. Shim also brought spicy rice cakes and dumplings. 

With a first year success, the clubs hope to produce Friendsgiving as a yearly tradition at South. 

Students enjoy home cooked dishes from numerous clubs. (Mr. Harpalani)
Dishes cooked by BEU students. (Mr. Harpalani)