A Year in Review: Final Broadcast for Raider News (23-24)
Kaitlyn Urbanowicz, Olivia Abbott, Ella Cottman, Simona Juknyte, Lili Olson, and Amelia BuhleApril 22, 2024

Archives

South’s Theater Department Immerses Audiences in the City of Troy with “The Trojan Women”

The full cast and crew of “The Trojan Women” (Source: Nate Wallace)

On November 14th, 15th and 16th the Glenbard South Theater Department will perform its second show of the 2023-24 season, a play titled “The Trojan Women”. Originally written by Euripides in 415 BC, the play examines  how the lives of the women of Troy changed, directly following the Trojan War. South’s theater department is performing a more modern adaptation by Ellen McLaughlin, but the same story holds true. Although it is a rather dark show, director Jessica Keuth-Rahtjen feels it holds a lot of meaning. “When deciding on this show last spring, I could not have possibly known how timely it would be,” she said. “However, now I cannot unsee how important this story is. The ugliness of war, the complicated nature of grief, and the violence so many are forced to face are devastating topics to consider. This is a story that requires consideration and reflection.”

This show holds meaning for more than just Ms. Keuth-Rahtjen. It has also touched the hearts of many cast members, including junior Danielle Allaway, who plays Andromache. “I think that getting to see the trauma and grief that these women experience and how they’re dealing with it is such a powerful message,” she said. “The fact that each character is different and has their own unique story just adds diversity into this incredible story. My favorite part of working on this show has been learning how to portray grief and getting to play a complex character.”

Junior Danielle Allaway performs her final moments on stage as other cast members react. (Source: Nate Wallace)

Fellow cast members Sam Boyd, senior, and Aiden Arquilla, sophomore, also believe that this show had and will continue to have a big impact on them. Boyd, who plays the role of Poseidon, begins the show in a very unique way: stepping onstage from the audience. “This show means a lot to me because I have a very important role that starts the story, so I need to do my best at it,” Boyd said. In addition,  Arquilla, who plays Talythibius, said, “This show is important because it’s my first big role. It’s my opportunity to prove to others and myself that I can perform.”

Various members of the costume, build and paint crews have also experienced the influence of this show. Freshman Emma-Leigh Kidder, a member of all three crews, said, “It means a lot seeing the amount of effort I put into this show. My favorite part was building and painting the set, as well as putting graffiti on it. I can’t wait to watch the completed product!” 

Freshman Dylin Alexander, who is also in the costume crew, shared a similar sentiment. “This show means a lot to me because it’s my first time being on crew instead of onstage,” she said. “It’s a big change for me, but I’ve really enjoyed picking out the outfits and accessories for the characters.”

Senior Grace Rolston screams as she portrays her character’s grief onstage. (Source: Nate Wallace)

However, theater often holds meaning beyond the current show. Just being part of the community can be life-changing for some. For example, freshman crew member, McKenna Cooke, said, “After transferring schools ‘The Trojan Women’ crew gave me a new and refreshing start to high school. I was instantly welcomed by all the cast, crew and staff members.” 

Allaway, similarly, feels thrilled to have theater in her life. “My sister got me into theater, and I am so grateful for her bringing me into this whimsical world full of love, dedication, passion and community,” she said. “I would be so lost without theater in my life.” 

To experience the influence of theater come see “The Trojan Women” on November 16th, 17th and 18th at 7:30 pm. Tickets are ten dollars each and can be bought online at this link or at the door. The entire Glenbard South Theater Department hopes to see you there, as Allaway said, “This show will make you go through an emotional rollercoaster and will touch everyone’s hearts.” 

Seniors Ella Larramore and Juliana Henry’s characters verbally fight throughout the show. (Source: Nate Wallace)