A Year in Review: Final Broadcast for Raider News (23-24)
Kaitlyn Urbanowicz, Olivia Abbott, Ella Cottman, Simona Juknyte, Lili Olson, and Amelia Buhle April 22, 2024

Halloween Movie Recommendations For Those Easily Spooked!

Hocus Pocus is the perfect Halloween movie to watch if you don’t want to be too afraid of the dark after watching! Source: Emma Pekkarinen

It is Halloween night, and what a better way to celebrate the season than to put on a scary movie? While some enjoy the addicting thrill of horror movies, others are left cowering under a blanket the second the opening credits begin to roll. Never fear, though. There are still plenty of spooky movies for those who are easily frightened. These movies and TV shows give off the perfect autumnal vibes for celebrating the spooky season. 

Sabrina the Teenage Witch (1990s version)

While the Netflix series “The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina” is filled to the brim with  chilling scenes and horror, the 1990s version of “Sabrina the Teenage Witch,” starring Melissa Joan Hart, has a cozy, nostalgic ambiance perfect for Halloween. While any episode is perfect for Halloween since the main character, Sabrina, is a witch, and every episode is filled with magical mishaps, there is a Halloween episode for each season. From battling zombies to throwing the best Halloween house party, “Sabrina” has plenty of Halloween episodes to binge all night long. Set in New England with a talking black cat, family magic and generally nostalgic vibes, Sabrina the Teenage Witch is a perfect Halloween watch. 

Hocus Pocus 

Set in Salem, teenager Max, who recently moved to town, accidentally awakens three 300-year-old witches for one night. Winifred, Sarah and Mary Sanderson wish to live for eternity off of the children of the town. Max, his girlfriend and little sister have to work to save themselves and the children of Salem from the witches. While the plot may seem a little dark, the movie is filled with Halloween fun in reality. 

Haunted Mansion

Disney’s “Haunted Mansion” is another fun-filled movie, perfect for those who like the idea of a haunted house, but would rather experience one from the safety of their well-lit living room. “Haunted Mansion” follows a family who take an ill-fated vacation to a very haunted house. Filled with ghosts that have unrequited business the family must work together to banish them and escape. 

The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown

A sweet movie, “The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown” follows Charlie Brown and the rest of the Peanuts’ gang as they have a horrorfilled night. With trick or treating and staking out a pumpkin patch, this movie weaves together a nostalgic Halloween night that will remind you of all your best childhood memories of the season. 

Addams Family 

Whether you are a fan of the original black and white movie, its reboot, the Netflix special Wednesday or the musical, this supernatural family has captivated audiences for decades-and for good reason. Whatever new direction you are pulled in on this spookiest of nights, let the “Addams Family” be the backdrop to your own Halloween night!

The Munsters 

This ancient show is perfect for those looking for a goofy and campy movie. The Munsters follows a 1960s monster family attempting to live a normal life despite their unusual backgrounds. With a Frankenstein-like father figure, witchy mother, vampire uncle and wolf child, the only seemingly normal member of the family is the teenage daughter. Living in a Victorian-style mansion on fictional Mockingbird lane, the Munsters attempt to attend dinner parties and be accepted into their neighborhood, although they do not always understand human ways of life. Their goofy shenanigans provide plenty of laughs. 

Ghostbusters

On Halloween night, who are you gonna call when you need a movie to watch? Ghostbusters! With an all-star ensemble featuring Bill Murray and Dan Aykroyd, this classic 80s movie is filled with adventure and comedy. The perfect movie to watch alongside your friend group, you can sing along to its catchy theme song and watch as the trio fights ghosts with plenty of humor and lightheartedness. The original movie is a fan favorite but the all-female casting reboot in 2016 is equally as entertaining. 

Any of these movies will give you a spooky ambiance, but won’t leave you with nightmares when it is time to turn out the lights. So even if horror is not your thing, there are still plenty of seasonal movies for you to get into the Halloween spirit.