Fall events

Laurel Bacote, The Scoop Editor

Fall can be one’s favorite time of the year due to the beautiful colors of changing leaves, the in-between weather stage and the fact that Halloween occurs.  Whether students already have some fun fall activities in mind or not, they should be able to find something that they will enjoy doing this season.

On October 13 and October 14th, which are both off days for students here at South, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., Holes & Knolls Miniature Golf Course, which features 36 holes of miniature golf, is offering half-price mini golf. Holes & Knolls Miniature Golf Course is located within Maryknoll Park, 845 Pershing Avenue, Glen Ellyn, IL. The golf course also has a full concessions stand and plenty of patio seating. Players can play all 36 holes or 18 of them. The mini golf fees for ages 13 and under are $2.50 for 18 holes or $4 for 36 holes and the fees for ages 14 and up are $3 for 18 holes or $4.50 for 36 holes.

For those students who enjoy roller skating, on Columbus Day, October 13, there will be an open skate session at Lombard Roller Rink from 1-4 p.m.. Admission will be $6.50 and skate rental is $4. A family of four would receive admission, a skate rental, a whole cheese pizza and a pitcher of soda for only $30. Lombard Roller Rink is located at 201 W. 2nd Street, Lombard, IL.

For citizens who are interested in giving back to their community will enjoy taking part in the different activities that will take place on National Make a Difference Day, Saturday, October 25, in the city of Wheaton. For example, in honor of the Stuff-A-Truck food drive, the Wheaton Public Library will take $5 off of library fines for anyone who brings a nutritious food donation on that day. This is also the same day that the Wheaton Chamber of Commerce, on behalf of the People’s Resource Center (PRC), will be collecting healthy, non-perishable food for those in need. Visitors can stop by the PRC from 1:00 p.m.-3:00 p.m., to drop off food, enjoy hot dogs provided by the Wheaton Rotary and take a tour of PRC. If supporters of this food drive are not able to go to PRC, they can bring a nutritious food donation to Studio Movie Grill on Thursday, October 9, and Thursday, October 23, and receive a free movie ticket that can be used on those days.

This next event is for families with young children who are excited about showing off their new costumes. They will be happy to hear that Wheaton’s Town Square will be hosting a Halloween Costume Party on Friday, October 24 beginning at 3:30 p.m. This event will include a costume parade, dance party, pumpkin decorating, face painting, balloon wizardry and other activities.

Two days later, there is another event for kids with new costumes. Kids of all ages will be invited to dress up in their costumes and head to St. Matthew United Church of Christ on Sunday, October 26, for its free “Trunk or Treat” event. The festivities will take place between 3:00 p.m. until 5:00 p.m. and will include food, crafts and games, as well as the distribution of candy, which will be given out by volunteers from the decorated trunks of their cars.

There are so many intriguing things to do, from mini golf to trick-or-treating, and one of these events is bound to catch somebody’s eyes this fall.