Start of the GBS Soccer Season

A member of the Raider boys soccer team prepares to make a corner kick.

David Puchalski, Sports Writer

As fall sports have begun, Glenbard South soccer has started strong. The players had a soccer camp during the summer and they also had tryouts and practice all before the first day of school. The boys varsity soccer team played their first game against Montini and all their hard work during the summer paid off. The team outplayed Montoni, with Ryan Hopkins (sophomore), Esteban Godinez (senior) and David Page (senior) all scoring a goal in the first game of the season. In a brief interview, Hopkins, who was awarded the man of the match said, “the team played great, and we are gonna keep working hard at practice which will lead to good results.” There were lots of positives and Andrew Pressley (senior) had a good game in defense. Yusuf Afzal (senior) had a great game in midfield, creating lots of scoring opportunities which was one of the reasons that the varsity team won.

The JV boys soccer team also started their season against a good team. They played against Leyden High School, where in the first half they were not as prepared as the varsity team and lost three points. But, in the second half the Glenbard South team was able to not let them score and also had some great opportunities. But there is a favorable chance that the JV team will get lots of wins this season.

Finally, the freshman team played against Lake Park at home, and in the first half dominated the game but could not put away their chances to score. In the second half after a frustrating result in the first half, the players finally put their chances away. David Puchalski started the second half with a goal and after that it all got better. Puchalski got 1 more goal and then Wyatt Bremer also got 2 goals. It was a great team performance and Peter Lehr also had an exceptional game with 3 assists.

As the season progresses the players are going to have success while practicing around 6 times a week and so the players ask for fans at their games. With fans the players seem to play better and it shows their raider pride! Be sure to come out to the next soccer game on September 14th (freshman and Jv at 4:30, varsity at 6:30).