Why Should Everyone Read?: The Benefits of Reading for Pleasure

Erika Hartman, In-Depth Writer

Reading is something that most people have been doing on a daily basis since the beginning of elementary school. For many, reading is something only done when necessary, like reading directions to the nearest pizza joint, scrolling through Instagram comments, or perhaps even reading a dreadful required book for English class. However, science has proven that reading with regularity beyond just the mandatory, can induce extremely advantageous benefits to both one’s mental and physical health for a lifetime. 

Physical Benefits

To start, reading has been proven to help strengthen cognitive function because it requires a complex network of signals in the brain. In one study conducted by Emory University, researchers used MRI scans to measure the effect of reading a novel on brain function. After reading the book for nine days, the MRI scans showed increased brain connectivity, the most significant amount being in the somatosensory cortex, which responds to physical phenomena such as pain and movement.

Another benefit of reading is elevated vocabulary and reading comprehension. Lancaster University performed a study that showed that students who read books on a regular basis, starting at a young age, developed larger vocabularies. One’s vocabulary can reflect in many areas of their life, from job opportunities to standardized tests, such as the SAT.

Next, it is shown by several studies that reading for pleasure not only prevents cognitive decline in old-age, but can even contribute to a longer life. Students from the University of Tokyo, Shinya Uchida and Ryuta Kawashima, found that the mental exercise of reading everyday helps maintain cognitive function, helping prevent diseases like Alzheimer’s and dementia. Lastly, a long-term health project performed by Yale University showed that within a group of 3,635 adults, those who read books with regularity lived approximately 2 years longer than participants who did not read. 

Mental Benefits

Not only has scientific research helped show the fabulous physical advantages of reading, but it highlights the mental benefits too. Reading fiction can significantly help individuals struggling with depression or other mental health issues because it allows them to temporarily escape the pressures of the world and their own negative thoughts. Non-fiction books, such as self-help books, can also be extremely helpful in teaching strategies for overcoming and managing depression symptoms. 

In 2009, a study was conducted to see how reading affected stress levels. It was concluded that reading for just 30 minutes a day helped lower blood pressure, heart rate and mental distress, just as much as the benefits of humor or yoga.

Finally and arguably most importantly, reading has been shown to help the reader empathize with others better. Research has shown that people who read fiction novels, especially books that take a look at characters and their lives, have an enhanced ability to understand and empathize with the beliefs and emotions of others. This is extremely important in many situations of life, from listening to your friend’s trauma to political issues.

All in all, it is evident that reading can really be a cure-all hobby. Instead of binge-watching shows endlessly or scrolling mindlessly through social media, people should try the magical art of reading.