How to Effectively Study for Final Exams

Sana Muneer, Editor in Chief

With South’s final exams right around the corner, it is important to study efficiently and effectively in order to perform your best.

Here are multiple tips, tricks, and resources to help you get the grade you want on upcoming exams. 

First Off: Get Focused

Forget everything else. If you’re not focused while studying, you won’t retain the information, and the hours spent working may not be beneficial. 

Avoid getting distracted

• Find an environment to work in that’s suitable for you. Some people enjoy working in quiet places, such as a bedroom or a library. Others may find it better while working in a cafe or in their family room. Do what’s best and most efficient for you to be able to concentrate thoroughly on your work. 
  • Put your phone away. Trust me, it’s aggravating, but it’s worth it in the end! If not putting away your phone, even just turning off notifications for distracting apps helps immensely. 

Take breaks 

• If you’re someone who gets burnt out by too much studying quickly, try this method: work for 25 minutes, then take a 5 minute break. After 4 of these, take a longer 15-30 minute break.
    • This is called the Pomodoro method, and it is scientifically proven to work well for students, especially with memorizing information. 
  • Dividing up your workload and taking breaks after each chunk may also work as well. 

Secondly: Schedule Up!

Making a schedule is crucial for staying on track to do well on your final exams. 

Personally, I find having a daily schedule filled with everything I need for each class highly beneficial in making sure I am prepared. I usually take each class I’m in and spread out each individual unit over a couple of days, so I can accurately review all of the material covered throughout the semester. 

Using apps such as iHomework, My Study Life or Egenda are helpful in staying organized in studying and for keeping track of assignments and assessments in general. 

Now Start Studying Effectively

Learning how to study and finding the right method for you is one of the hardest and most important parts of school. 

Using beneficial websites, apps and approaches to learning is a great way to help study efficiently. 

Quizlet

The Quizlet app/website is my go to and favorite way of studying, especially for learning new vocabulary words in history classes or for comprehending a different language. 

• Quizlet helps students study information through interactive tools and games.
    • There is also Quizlet Live, an in-class game that teachers can use to help students review information while working in teams.

Quizlet can be used for any class and concept. Predominantly I use it for English and History vocabulary words, foreign language vocabulary, math formulas, and other concepts I need to memorize. 

Khan Academy

Khan Academy is incredibly helpful for learning not only new math concepts from K-12th grade, but also biology, chemistry, physics, english, finance, economics and humanities concepts. 

• It’s completely free! It costs absolutely nothing to watch videos and work on problems, and is available anywhere that has access to the internet.
  • You can fast forward, rewind, and repeat videos on your own, all without having to consider other students’ or the teacher’s pace.
  • Khan Academy is also helpful in studying for standardized tests, namely the SAT.

School Resources for Finals

• The Math Lab – 2nd Floor
    • Open Monday through Friday, before school & during all periods
  • Writing Center – LRC
    • Open during all lunch periods
    • Contact 
  • AP Cafe – Room 63
    • Open during all lunch periods

You can also contact your teacher to schedule a time to meet if you need extra review.

Happy studying!