Should LGBTQ+ history be taught in schools?

Ella Pope, Opinions Writer

The topic of whether LGBTQ+ history should be taught in school is very controversial in the United States. Currently, six states in the United States have requirements for LGBTQ+ history to be taught in schools, and four states have anti-LGBTQ+ curriculum laws in place. California was the first state to require schools to teach about LGBTQ+ history in 2011. This was a big step to take since same-sex marriage was not legalized in all states until June 2015. 

In my opinion, LGBTQ+ history should be taught in schools the same way that other history is. Regardless of people’s opinions on LGBTQ+ rights, it has a big impact on our country today. Choosing to ignore this part of history erases all the work that people have put in to fight for their rights. Those people have contributed to our society greatly, and even if you view this as negative, it still happened and affects all of our lives. 

Requiring LGBTQ+ history to be taught in schools also creates a safer environment for those who identify as something within the LGBTQ+ community. The results of a survey done in 2019 show that 32% of students who identify as lesbian, gay, or bisexual reported getting bullied at school whereas 17.1% of heterosexual students reported being bullied. 26.9% of students who said they were not sure of their sexual identity also reported being bullied at school. These numbers show a direct correlation between sexuality and being bullied, especially at school, which should be a safe place for all students. 

Requiring that LGBTQ+ history is taught in schools would be very beneficial. Regardless of your view on LGBTQ+ rights, you cannot deny that it has had a huge impact on our society. Teaching people about it would create a safer environment in schools and would educate lots of people that did not know much about the history.