Raiderific Running

Sarah Ledford, Sports Writer

Coming back into a normal season after a difficult year has been quite a change for the Glenbard South Girls Cross Country team, but they kept their spirits high for the 2021 season. They started their season back in August, before school even started. With four new freshmen on the team, the season was already looking up.
Their first meet took place on August 25th at Morris High School. The varsity team took home 4th place, with sophomore Lauren Price in 7th place and senior Kylie Denardo in 10th.
One aspect the team brought back this year was their Bathroom Ratings! The girls rate the bathrooms at each meet on their Instagram (follow them @gbs_girlsxc !!), listing pros and cons, then tallying the total.
Even with the successful first meet, there are always challenges behind the scenes. When asked what has been learned from running cross country, senior Kylie Denardo responded, “you can just quit, but it takes mental strength to push past any adversity or challenges”. Runners are always challenged not only physically, but more importantly mentally. Cross Country is one of the more mentally challenging sports, but each runner has their own techniques to deal with these mind games. When asked to describe the sport in one word, junior Madelyn Weber answered, “clarity.” Plain and simple: to just clear your mind and run.
No matter how the season goes, one aspect that remains important is the connection between teammates. When asked what was her favorite aspect of the sport, Denardo responded, “the strong connection we have as a team, where we’re all proud of our individual successes and are always encouraging each other to succeed.”
The team always sticks together through all difficulties, hardships, and celebratory moments. The girls will be racing next on September 4th at Elgin Harvest Christian, so good luck girls!