Teacher Feature: Mr. Aye

Maya Page, School News Editor

Teacher Q & A: Mr. Aye
As the 21-22 school year commenced, both students and staff were fully back in-person. Students may notice a number of new or unfamiliar staff members around the building. Mr. Aye, Glenbard South’s newest AP English Language and Composition instructor, is one of these new staff members. In order to become better acquainted with Aye, the Independent asked him a few get-to-know-you questions.

Q: So, you are a new English teacher here at Glenbard South. What inspired you to go into teaching, and why did you choose this specific subject?

Aye: After changing my major 4 times (journalism, general studies, psychology, and English), I did a lot of soul searching about what I valued and what qualities I wanted in my career. When I took a gap year working for Disney between earning my associates degree and starting on my bachelors, I realized that teaching literature and writing would be the combination of all of my passions and skills: writing, reading, public speaking, and helping people. This sounds really cliche, but I get to do what I love every day, and that makes waking up at 5:30 am to go to work 5 days per week very bearable.

Q: What do you like most about being a teacher?

Aye: Easy answer: the kids. The hardest part about remote learning was missing the little side conversations and authentic moments we get with all of you students. I missed hearing laughter or groans when I told a joke in class. I missed actually seeing the “ah ha” moment when a kid breaks through something they were struggling with. Now, the smiles may be hidden behind masks as kids enter my room, but at least we are together experiencing the learning again as a family.

Q: What are your favorite things to do outside of teaching? Any hobbies or activities?

Aye: I have a 4 month old daughter named Livia, so spending time with her and my wife has become my favorite thing. Beyond that, I love anything outdoors: camping, rock climbing, kayaking, wood chopping, flannel wearing, etc. I also enjoy cooking and lounging in my hammock with a good book no matter the weather (seriously, I’ll be out there in January with a parka on if I can get some fresh air).

Q: What was your favorite part of high school when you attended(if you did attend)?

Aye: I was a very social person and was involved in multiple extracurriculars (typical AP kid), so I was enriched by as many of the offerings my school could provide that I could fit into my schedule. I also enjoyed being in classes with the kinds of teachers you could tell really wanted to be there. I’m happy to say that I see a TON of those kinds of teachers here at GBS.

Q: Do you have any words of advice to help your students- and South students in general- to succeed this year?

Aye: Find a healthy balance between work and fun. Get involved in extracurricular activities as much as you can, but don’t let them become a distraction from your studies. Let the relationships you cultivate here with peers and teachers enrich your experience, and savor every minute of this supportive environment. Also, be willing to reach out for help when you need it. There is no shortage of adults in this building who want to help you.

Q: Are there anything interesting facts about you that you want your students to know?

Aye: I lived in Harbin, China for a year teaching at Harbin Cambridge College. I taught every level of student — kindergarten through college professors — and gained a great appreciation for the type of student-centered education system we have back home.

Along with teaching AP English Language and Composition, Mr. Aye will be the sponsor of the creative writing club, which meets every Thursday in room 311. All students are encouraged to attend.