Spring Athletics Update

Meghan Baehl, Sports Editor

Starting off strong at the beginning of March, boys soccer, football, and girls volleyball has continued on throughout the past month. With their games being streamed via YouTube, very few spectators have been allowed. Similarly, boys gymnastics soon followed suit, along with cheerleading and dance for the football season. Beginning April 5th, baseball, softball, boys tennis, track, and volleyball, as well as girls track and soccer have started their seasons. As for wrestling, the season began on April 19th. Indoor sports have been  limited to gatherings of 50, so there has been a small number of spectators in addition to the players and coaches. Outdoor events have now welcomed spectators at 20% capacity. Athletes will still be COVID tested every week, and in the case of a positive test, the team will have to put its season on pause. 

The following  sports will be allowed to compete without masks as of April 12th: in-season IHSA sports and activities include bass fishing, baseball, softball, tennis, and track & field. However, students  must continue to wear masks in these sports and activities when not actively competing, whereas coaches and officials will continue to wear masks and uphold social distancing. 

With this new update, state competition for baseball, softball, and track & field have now been planned to take place during June.