Zoom Etiquette

Zoom Etiquette

Felicity Abbott, News Editor

The start of the 2020-21 school year has been drastically different then what students have normally prepared for. The entirety of a student’s school day has been a live video call through Zoom. Just as there were high expectations for behavior in-person, Glenbard District 87 has several expectations for Zoom classes.

The first and probably most important expectation is having the camera on. When a student has his/her camera on, the teacher will know he/she has been present, and can make connections with the students. If a student has not turned his/her camera on, especially during attendance at the beginning and signing off at the end of class, he/she could be marked absent.

Second, while students have been expected to have his/her camera on, they also have been expected to have his/her microphone off. This has allowed for a smooth teaching period without any interruptions. However, there are exceptions to muting a mic, such as during attendance and when the student will ask or answer a question. If a student is being disruptive, the teacher has the power to mute them.

Third, students have been asked to find a private place in their home where they will attend class, so that distractions behind them will be limited.

Fourth, since tech problems might happen, students have been asked to be patient. If they get kicked out of a meeting or are unable to log on, they have been encouraged to contact the teacher and let him/her know what has been going on. At the end of the class, the teacher will get a report stating who was on and for how long. If there were tech problems, those should be communicated to the teacher as soon as possible.

Last of all, students should be engaged as if they were in the classroom, utilizing the chat feature to direct questions to the class or the teacher. They should also use the reaction buttons to show the teacher that they have been actively learning or if they need help.

By adhering to these norms, students will create a good learning environment for themselves and their classmates.