Returning to New Normal

Glenbard District 87 Hybrid Schedule 20-21

Felicity Abbott, News Editor

Students of Glenbard District 87 had the opportunity to select one of two learning options for the first semester of the 20-21 school year. Currently, students will attend remotely until September 8th. The students that chose to partake in the hybrid schedule will only be on campus for two half-days. The administration divided the school into two groups labeled Group A and Group B. If your last name starts with the letter A-L you will be placed in Group A, and if your last name starts with the letter M-Z you will be placed in Group B. Group A will attend on-campus learning on Mondays and Thursdays and Group B will attend on-campus learning on Tuesdays and Fridays. On the days that a student’s group is not on-campus, the student will participate in a livestream version of the classes. On Wednesday, the entire school will be remote to allow for a deep-cleaning of the school. Additional work will also be given Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays to be completed during 1:00-2:25. Any student participating in Zero Hour gym will take the course fully-remote at an unspecified time. 

When students will be on-campus they will be required to comply with several rules regarding their safety, and the safety of others. First and foremost, masks and face coverings will be required at all times in the building. Student’s temperature will also be taken before they enter the building to ensure no student has a fever greater than 100.4 degrees. Questions will also be asked about the symptoms of COVID-19 to protect the students. Students will also not be allowed to bring any food into the building. If a student has medical reasons for eating, he/she will need to do so in the nurse’s office. 

In addition to these rules, strict regulations will also be in place in the classroom. Students will have assigned seats in class to help contact tracing, and there will be minimal movement throughout the period. Each space will be limited to 50 people and will be required to keep a 6 foot social distance. Students might be moved to other learning spaces in the case that social distancing is not possible in a class. Classes will also be taught more traditionally, with a lecture-style and less group work for students.

Students will also have the opportunity to take the bus to school, but with added procedures. Parents will need to verify that their student does not have a fever, or COVID-19 symptoms online before students board the bus. Students will also be required to wear face coverings at all times. Social distancing (when possible) will also be enforced. The windows will be down (when possible) to help ventilation, and the busses will also be disinfected daily. 

The Hybrid Schedule, although partially remote, will provide an opportunity for students to experience a somewhat normal schooling experience.