College admissions scandal

Tyler Meeks, News Writer

In March of 2019, federal prosecutors charged over fifty people who participated in a large-scale bribery scheme to gain admission to top-tier U.S. universities such as Stanford, Yale and USC. According, to the New York Times It has been named the “largest college admissions scam ever prosecuted by the Department of Justice,”. Over thirty-three high-profile parents, such as Lori Loughlin and Felicity Huffman, were involved in the scam. Parents like Loughlin and Huffman were involved by both paying large sums of money as bribes, or by doctoring student achievement, which made their child’s accomplishments seem more impressive than they truly were. Though, the parents are not the only culprits.

The blame has fallen on fifty nine-year-old college admissions consultant, William Singer. As a consultant who worked in the business for three decades, Singer was behind the elaborate plan to bribe coaches and test administrators, fabricate student resumes and falsify exam scores. In a similar manner, the case has also exposed many college athletics coaches of taking bribes from students for “sports recruitment,” despite a student’s clear lack of athletic ability or aptitude in the sport.

This has not been first time that a large scale college admissions scandal has occurred, and with the Ivy League colleges front-and-center. Last year, Harvard University was sued on account of discriminating against Asian-Americans in the application process, supposedly holding them to higher standards than their caucasian counterparts.

Thirteen of the parents were tried, including actress Lori  Loughlin, all were found guilt sic will visit

Ultimately, these scandals were not unexpected. College admissions has always been a game skewed in favor of the rich, and the events of the past few months only solidify the injustice.