The Grinch

The tale of a green curmudgeon, determined to wreck Christmas for the Whos, is a well-known and beloved tale.

Michaela Reif, Writer for The Scoop

The tale of a green curmudgeon, determined to wreck Christmas for the Whos, is a well-known and beloved tale. First written in print by Dr. Seuss, The Grinch has been adapted into a play, 1966 television special, live action movie, and now as an animated movie narrated by Pharrell Williams.

Having just hit theaters this November, The Grinch is perfectly timed to be a holiday hit. Following the same classic storyline of How the Grinch Stole Christmas by Dr. Suess, which follows the tale of a Christmas-hating grinch as he attempts to wreck celebrations in the neighboring town of Whoville, this movie is geared towards a younger audience. The Grinch, who is voiced by Benedict Cumberbatch, becomes increasingly annoyed by Christmas time celebrations in the town of Whoville. Plagued with a heart that is “two sizes too small,” the Grinch, along with his dog Max, set out to stop the Whoville Christmas. However, along the way, the Grinch can not help but learn valuable lessons from the young Cindy Lou Who, whose main goal is to try to make sure everyone can enjoy a happy holiday season.

Although these similarities are present in both the original and new remake, some adaptations occur in the new version of the film. Viewers see more of Cindy Lou Who’s home life, something that was absent in the live action movie. The new film also offers more insight into the Grinch’s sad childhood, focusing on his loneliness and time spent in an orphanage. The increased focus on the character’s backstories help make The Grinch better suited for children, offering life lessons of compassion and understanding.

About the Writer
Michaela Reif, Writer

Michaela is a sophomore at Glenbard South and a writer for The Independent. Michaela is very involved in the Raider community, participating in clubs...