Teen advisory board

Teen advisory board

Will Coleman, News Writer

Many students have wished to make an impact on their community, but have not been sure how to. The Student Advisory Board has been one teen-friendly way to get involved and be an activist for your community.

The Student Advisory Board has been a group of students from all over Dupage County who come together to be activists for a positive and healthy community. The Board has been prominent in the community as local health departments contact them for advice on teen focused campaigns for ideas such as mottos, colors and more. While striving for a healthier community, the Teen Advisory Board focuses on anti-drug policies to improve the well being of teens in the community.

The Board’s primary anti-drug campaign is Reality Illinois. It first went to a multitude of park officials, ultimately changing park policy so that smoking or using tobacco of any kind was not allowed in parks. Next, The Board then went to the Village Board of Glen Ellyn, who had no interest in changing the ordinance about age when purchasing tobacco, and convinced them to change the ordinance about purchasing tobacco. Now, someone would have to be 21 years old to purchase tobacco, instead of 18. As an added bonus, Governor Rauner may sign a bill to make this tobacco ordinance state-wide. This has been just one example of the many impacts The Student Advisory Board has made on a now healthier community.

If you are interested in joining the Student Advisory Board, you should come to the first meeting, on Wednesday, September 5 at 6 p.m. at the Glenbard District office near Glenbard West (596 Crescent Blvd, Glen Ellyn, IL 60137). The Board always meets on the first Monday of every month at 6 p.m. at this same location.

If you have any additional questions, you can contact Gilda Ross, the community project coordinator for the Board at [email protected].