Dancing into competition season

Karaline Solomon, Journalism Student

The Glenbard South dance team, coached by Lisa Roy, started its season on October 23.
The dance team has been in the 2A division and had its first competition at Andrew High
School in Tinley Park, on November 18. There are 13 girls on the varsity team, and 15 girls
on the JV team.
“I am most excited to see our ladies succeed! They have worked so hard and have really
made a name for themselves. They have earned the respect from other teams and have
represented Glenbard South in a positive way,” Coach Roy said.
Furthermore, the teams have competed at Batavia High School and Crystal Lake Central
High School. Additionally, varsity and JV competed at Belvidere High School on Dec. 9 and
will compete at Huntley High School on Jan. 7. Also, conference will be held on Monday,
Jan. 15, at Chicago Christian High School and sectionals will be held on Saturday, Jan. 20,
at Geneva High School.
“As a team this year, we are striving to create a new blend between veteran members and
incoming freshmen in order to go to state in 2A,” senior captain Grace Drinane added.
The varsity dance team has been performing two unique routines this season. A lyrical and
a pom routine. Pom routines are fast paced dances that incorporate pom-poms. In addition,
a lyrical routine is similar to ballet but it allows more freedom of expression through fluid
movements. The lyrical routine has been to Leona Lewis’ “Bleeding in Love” and the pom
routine has been to Kenny Loggins’ “Danger Zone”.
“I am so proud of this program and team,” said Roy. “The girls have really worked hard to
accomplish their goals, and it is very exciting to see them succeed.