Morton Arboretum Illumination light show

Sarah Nardella, Writer

Every year the Morton Arboretum puts up lights for the holiday season. This winter wonderland will be available to visit during November 18th until January 2nd. When you enter the Morton Arboretum, you are welcomed by many different colored lights, various types of trees and an illuminating sky. You get the opportunity to walk through trees, enjoy the different lights and overall get closer with nature. In fact, the Arboretum has trees miles long strung with different lights for the public to walk through. “The trees were so beautiful with all the different colors. I really enjoyed being able to experience nature in this sort of way,” said Jackie Nardella.

In addition to the colorful trees, the Morton Arboretum decorates the lake with different designs and lights as well illuminating the sky with bright colors. “You will see the lights dance to excerpts from The Nutcracker recorded by the Chicago Symphony Orchestra,” Tom Johnson, a worker of the Illumination light show, informed.

While roaming through the Morton Arboretum, you can choose to experience their cozy campfire, snacks, or a rest stop at one of the warming areas along the Illumination path. If you want to make this adventure even more exciting, the Morton Arboretum app is free and offers maps and information about the events being held while you are there.

Above all, there are many interactive trees that are youth friendly to play with. For instance, workers at the Morton Arboretum say if you hug or sing to the trees, then they will respond. Plus, it is easy to watch children have a fun and safe experience while exploring the different attractions. Overall, the Morton Arboretum is a fun place for kids with many events designed just for them.

This is a perfect time to make lasting memories with the friends and family you love. “I love taking my family here. It is such a good way for them to experience nature and spend time with family at the same time” said a mother of three Cindy Diaz.

Seeing the holiday lights at the Morton Arboretum is a way to get into the holiday spirit along with getting closer with nature and friends. The Morton Arboretum is located at 4100 IL-53 in Lisle, and tickets for Illumination are sold online at themortonarb.org for the shows at 5:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m. When buying a ticket to see the Illumination show, it is required to buy it for either 5:00 or 7:00. Be careful because tickets will expire. Non-members need to pay $18 for adults and $12 for children where if you have a membership tickets are only $13 for adults and $7 for children.

Do not forget that free parking is included with admission. For specific questions please call them at 630-968-0074.

Photo courtesy of Steve Ornberg Photography