Glenbard South, saving hearts one at a time

Nicole Dede, Writer

Glenbard South partnered with Young Hearts for Life to offer a free EKG heart test for anyone who wanted it. The test was done during students’ gym period in the gym on December 1.

An electrocardiogram or EKG has been used to record the electrical activity of the heart and transfer it onto paper. This test will be done to check for problems like arrhythmias or irregular beating of the heart, blockages in the arteries as well as many other heart related issues.

Wary of these possible heart issues in students, Mr Cuny, Assistant Principal of Operations at GBS, suggested the Administration bring the EKG test to the school. The school quickly got on board with Young Hearts for Life, an organization that brought the EKG tests to schools all over the country. GBS has been partnering with Young Hearts for Life and Dr. Marek, the founder and owner for ten years. They have provided students with the free test every other year. The reason behind this test was the school found it important that the test was available because of the number of sports and physical activities students take part in. “Research has shown in adolescents, EKG testing can help detect certain heart conditions and help save lives,” said Mrs. Smith, the nurse at GBS, “Especially with students being so active in athletics or just PE, having the EKG testing allows them to safely participate in their activities.”

There have been many benefits to the EKG. The test will not only be free but quick and painless. The doctors and nurses will be respectful and take into account privacy and modesty. Twelve pads will be placed on the body around the chest that will read the electrical activity of the heart. The student will lay on the table for around five minutes while the computer gets a reading. After the reading, the doctors will check the results for any abnormalities. If an abnormality was found, the student can be referred to another doctor and seek treatment if needed.

These tests will not only allow students treatment to those who might need it but also will provide early detection of problems which could save a life. Especially for those who have been extremely active, these problems could appear out of nowhere. This has been why Young Hearts for Life and GBS wanted everyone to take the test. There have been no drawbacks to the EKG. “With activity, if you have exertion there are many things that could cause the heart not to beat correctly,” reiterated Mrs. Smith, “Every student should take this test.”