A Year in Review: Final Broadcast for Raider News (23-24)
Kaitlyn Urbanowicz, Olivia Abbott, Ella Cottman, Simona Juknyte, Lili Olson, and Amelia BuhleApril 22, 2024

Winter Classics for the Whole Family!

Winter is the perfect time to get together for a movie night! Source: ABC 7

Winter: the season of candy canes, holiday spirit, hot cocoa in front of a fire. Nostalgia and cold weather force us under the blankets on the couch, craving quality time with our families. But when you are on the couch, what is there to do? Seasonal movies are a perfect way to get into the holiday spirit and bring families together. 

“Home Alone” is a perfect candidate. Known to possibly everyone in the nation, the movie is a tried and true holiday classic. You simply cannot go through this Christmas season without at least one more watch. Kevin (Macaulay Culkin), the main character, makes a “wish” for his family to disappear the night before they leave for their big trip. When all the power in the neighborhood goes out during the night, the whole family oversleeps and forgets Kevin in their rush to make the plane on time. When he wakes up to find his entire family gone, Kevin is ecstatic to see that his wish “came true.” However, being entirely alone is not all that it is cracked up to be, which becomes even more apparent as sinister things start happening in his neighborhood. As Kevin begins missing his family more and more and his mom works increasingly hard to get home to him, viewers will learn to appreciate the people they love.

Another Christmas classic that easily springs to mind is “How the Grinch Stole Christmas,” featuring the inhuman talent (and facial expressions) of Jim Carrey as the Grinch. In the wondrous town of Whoville, the Grinch alone despises the Christmas season, which reminds him of his not-so-stellar childhood. Spurred by jealousy and resentment, he sets out to ruin the Christmas holiday for Whoville. One of the most famous and fondly looked upon classics, this movie requires no further explanation. “How the Grinch Stole Christmas” beautifully combines comedy with heartfelt and genuine moments that will leave any audience reveling in their nostalgia and looking forward to the simple and pure joy promised in the upcoming holidays. 

“Love, Actually” is not quite as celebrated as some other Christmas classics, but is still an absolutely necessary watch. Combining nine interweaving stories, the film follows a wide cast of characters (with lots of familiar faces: Hugh Grant, Kiera Knightley, Alan Rickman, Colin Firth, Emma Thompson and Liam Neeson, to name a few) and their relationships in the weeks leading up to Christmas. The movie is incredibly sweet and engaging, taking the viewer through heartbreak and giggling joy countless times over the two hours and nine minutes of runtime. The major takeaway of the movie, of course, is that “love, actually, is all around,” and is tangible in all forms, whether that be familial, romantic or platonic. 

“Klaus” is a lesser known but nonetheless phenomenal movie that shares a common theme with other classics: the impact of Christmas. Featuring a star-studded cast and gorgeous animation, the movie follows a rich and spoiled young adult, Jesper. Lacking any sort of work ethic, Jesper is presented with an ultimatum by his father: either establish a working post office in Smeerensberg in one year, or be cut off permanently. Unwilling to completely give up his huge family fortune, Jesper soon finds himself fighting to find and deliver mail in a town where nobody can write and everybody hates each other. The film takes the audience through Jesper’s initial shock and complaining, and creates a beautiful character arc. Even within such a silly and seemingly simple storyline, this movie features an unexpected amount of emotional depth. The genuine warmth of its scenes makes it impossible to not adore this movie. “Klaus” is definitely a must-see if you want a fun and feel-good film with beautiful visuals and emotionally devastating scenes guaranteed to make you cry.

While Christmas and winter movies are a fantastic way to connect with your family and friends over the holiday season, Christmas is not the most important factor. During the darkest time of the year, remember to keep your loved ones close and show them how much you appreciate them. Play some board games, cook something special or use this list as a guideline for a holiday movie marathon! Whether you celebrate in any of these ways or not, make sure to do something special to recharge before coming back for second semester.

View Comments (1)