A Year in Review: Final Broadcast for Raider News (23-24)
Kaitlyn Urbanowicz, Olivia Abbott, Ella Cottman, Simona Juknyte, Lili Olson, and Amelia BuhleApril 22, 2024

Archives

Across the Spider-Verse: Re-Examining the Hero

In Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse, Miles Morales’ entire world is turned upside down. Illustrator: Amelia Buhle

Miles Morales has saved the world, and no one seems to care. Sure, the world adores Spider-Man, whoever he may be, but as long as Miles’ true identity must remain secret, he is simply an underpaid, unrecognized and, most importantly, lonely teenage web-slinger. The only friends he knows are quite literally worlds away, trapped in their own duties as the superheroes in their respective universes.

That is why, when Miles (Shameik Moore) discovers an elite secret society of Spider-People from all across the multiverse, he believes that he has finally found common ground. As it turns out, though, these jaded heroes only believe Miles to be naïve. Being a hero, they say, requires sacrifice which Miles is unwilling to allow. Every Spider-Person, in every universe, has suffered loss. If Miles wishes to continue wearing the mask, saving everyone is simply impossible. Between protecting Brooklyn and being a prodigal son, Miles is already spread thin, but insists that he can continue in the balancing act. When the cost of his stubbornness knocks on his front door, however, Miles must choose to betray the very laws of the multiverse or risk losing it all.

The premiere movie in the Miles Morales series, Into the Spider-Verse, introduced the rousing idea that everyone has the potential to save the world, a motif which this most recent installment certainly expands upon. Complete with intricate lore regarding an entire multiverse of Spider-People, Across the Spider-Verse took “anyone can wear the mask” and ran with it. Indeed, a multitude of distinct, colorful personalities took to donning the spider suit for the first time on the silver screen, everyone from an anarchy-prone rocker to a lone wolf (no, literally. One of them has fangs). This large cast avoided redundancy thanks to the meticulous character and costume designer Kris Anka, whose sharp eye granted every new superhero their own thoughtful individuality.

A perceptive score tallies yet another win for the film’s creative team as their attention to detail defines Across the Spider-Verse as the doted-on brainchild of collaborative genius. Hits from Metro Boomin, Dominic Fike and more bring a youthful exuberance to the work. Additionally, each principal Spider-Person has their own signature theme song to accompany their multi-dimensional shenanigans, a clever addition to what was already a standout viewing experience. 

Across the Spider-Verse is every bit as charming as it is action-packed. It is a difficult feat to leave the theater without developing a formidable parasocial connection with at least one of these lively heroes. To live today is to live in a new age of superheroes, ones who move beyond the cardboard cutout of heroism without nuance. As the Marvel cinematic universe grows even more complex, so do its characters, who are proving themselves as emotionally versatile and relatably imperfect, now more than ever.

It has been many years since a film has moved audiences to the extent that Across the Spider-Verse has. This summer blockbuster has engineered a cult following for all the right reasons, and watching this movie in theaters felt like family movie night, lovingly communal until the very end. Theaters full of fans on the edges of their seats collectively groaned as the credits began to roll, willing the screen back to life even after almost two and a half hours of screen time. Without a doubt, fans are hungry for more arachnid adventures. 

Beyond the Spider-Verse, the next chapter in the enthralling tale of Miles Morales, the Spider-Man determined to write his own story, is estimated for release on March 29, 2024. In the meantime, I will be saving up for popcorn.